Anybody here speak lawyer? What does Jotul mean...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

SnapCracklePop

Feeling the Heat
Hearth Supporter
Sep 29, 2010
Southwestern Penna
Please excuse if this is a double post. The other attempt went poof.

Jotul says this in the manual for the Oslo:

Exclusions and limitations
Notice: This warranty is void if installation or service is performed
by someone other than an authorized installer or service agency,
or if installation is not in conformance with the installation and
operating instructions contained in this owner’s manual or local
and/or national fire and building regulations.
A listing of local
authorized installers, service agencies and gas suppliers can be
obtained from the National Fireplace Institute at http://www.
nficertified.org/.

Question is, does the bf section mean that I am okay doing my own install? That I won't void the warranty?

Thanks!
Nancy

PopCrackleSnap said:
Please excuse if this is a double post. The other attempt went poof.

Jotul says this in the manual for the Oslo:

Exclusions and limitations
Notice: This warranty is void if installation or service is performed
by someone other than an authorized installer or service agency,
or if installation is not in conformance with the installation and
operating instructions contained in this owner’s manual or local
and/or national fire and building regulations.
A listing of local
authorized installers, service agencies and gas suppliers can be
obtained from the National Fireplace Institute at http://www.
nficertified.org/.

Question is, does the bf section mean that I am okay doing my own install? That I won't void the warranty?

Thanks!
Nancy

Pretty much means; follow the instruction or the warranty is voided.

I believe that "or if" means that each condition voids the warranty. It would say "and" if the warranty was voided specifically by a non- licensed installer screwing up. Jags would know best I think.

I dont speak lawyer, but in 27 years of doing stove stuff I have NEVER ONCE had a warranty claim denied soley because it was a self install. I have had warranty claims declined on self installs where the homeowner did something stupid. But as mentioned above, if you follow the directions, take the proper steps etc, you should be fine.

Any or all of the reasons stated void the warranty. You can't do your own install, according to what you posted.

That doesn't mean they won't honor the warranty. It means they don't have to. They gave themselves multiple escape clauses. However, there are such things as merchantability and fitness tests that a court might take into consideration, even thought the warranty seems to exclude your intended installation.

You never know what the judge (or jury) will rule until it goes to court. The often don't really follow the letter of the law, especially in local courts. It's often mostly about the judge not getting reversed because it looks bad on his or her "record," not justice.

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I have been to court.

I agree that either condition would void the warranty. It says this OR that voids the warranty, not this AND that are needed to void the warranty. I am not saying that Jotul wouldn't honor the warrranty if you install properly and something goes wrong due to their manufacturing or design, but they don't have to, according to what you posted.

WhitePine said:
Any or all of the reasons stated void the warranty. You can't do your own install, according to what you posted.

That doesn't mean they won't honor the warranty. It means they don't have to. They gave themselves multiple escape clauses. However, there are such things as merchantability and fitness tests that a court might take into consideration, even thought the warranty seems to exclude your intended installation.

You never know what the judge (or jury) will rule until it goes to court. The often don't really follow the letter of the law, especially in local courts. It's often mostly about the judge not getting reversed because it looks bad on his or her "record," not justice.

No, I'm not a lawyer, but I have been to court.

White Pine, I love that photo. Not to hijack the thread or anything.

WhitePine said:
Franks said:
White Pine, I love that photo. Not to hijack the thread or anything.

Thanks. It shows part of our pond.

What part of Eastern Tennessee you in? Anywhere near Ooltewah? Not only can I spell it; I can pronounce it! Old college flame is from Ooltewah...

Nancy

Now I've probably piqued someone's interest. It's pronounced "Ootle-wah." Don't blame me...

Technically if your installing yourself or it's not a "by the book" installation they could void your warranty. Though, as Franks said, I've never seen them actually do it.

Interestingly, I installed a Dura Tech chimney this week and on the bottom side of the cap was a sticker which read to the effect that if you've purchased DT via the internet, your warranty may be voided. Though, again, i practice I haven't seen them do it.

So if you were claiming warranty would they actually send someone to your house to check it out? Or would you have to produce some piece of paper stating some authorized person did the install.

my experience is
just because it is written its not neccesarily enforcible
as stated above

wkpoor said:
So if you were claiming warranty would they actually send someone to your house to check it out? Or would you have to produce some piece of paper stating some authorized person did the install.

Well, I'm not sure if they would send someone out, but high value warranty claims sometimes to get extra scrutiny. That I have seen. "Who installed this?" etc.

I am probably going to buy a Jotul 500 Oslo and I also read this in the online manual. I asked my dealer about this and he told me that it was up to him whether or not to void a warranty. He told me he would rather I did the install myself as he doesn't really have time to do installs anymore. He said he would not void the warranty if I did the install myself. The dealer also said to get my measurements and he would show me how to put the pipe and chimeny together. He said it is very simple. So it looks like it boils down to what the dealer wants to do. My dealer is an honest person so I will take him at his word. You might want to talk to your dealer about it though.

Dear PopCrackleSnap,

I don't "speak lawyer". So I had to look up what "jotul" means in an online dictionary.

The good news is that I found the answer. It turns out to be Icelandic or Norwegian for "giant troll"!

The bad news, alas, is that I had to report this disturbing finding to the Hearth.com thought police.........

;) :) ;)

Henk

Status
Not open for further replies.