Any thoughts on Avalon 900PS?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlstech

Jan 16, 2015
OR
I was looking for a pellet stove this summer and found a 93 Avalon 900PS brand new. The couple bought 2 of them back in the 90s and decided one was enough after installing one. So this one was sitting in their garage, brand new, never fired up. It was kind of an impulse buy but I couldn't pass it up for $400.

Anyways, I'm getting ready to install it and realized I don't know anything about this stove. How do you guys like them? Can anyone recommend any modifications right from the start?? I need to to heat about 1500sf, would this do it or am I better off selling it and getting something newer? The prices of stoves went up a bit here so I can probably get $500 or so for it since it's in perfect shape.

I can't even remember what one looks like:(

Good to hear. Yes, that's my stove. I decided I'm going to install it for sure. Even if I decide it's not enough heat for my house, I can still sell it lightly used and get my money back.

Do you remember if it had any common/reoccurring issues?

BTW nice work on that controller. I've thought about messing around with a Raspberry Pi and the controls in the future.

Yes
The Lopi and the Avalon were Sisters, sort of like the GMC and the Chevy

No issues to speak of, other than with us, running the unit on nut shells the ash build up was heavy, and the clean outs were not big enough.

Today with the knowledge of the LEAF BLOWER TRICK this would not be a concern.

We have all our stoves direct vented and this makes the leafer trick quick and easy.

Just be sure the door is open to avoid damage to the pressure / vacuum switch

Controllers on these stoves has always been a sore spot with me.

Heat is such a vital item, and to depend on very delicate electronic components to keep it flowing makes me very nervous.

The tiny microprocessors controls used in most units today can be knocked out with such minor things as walking over and touching the stove on a cold dry day and getting a static discharge to the panel.

Static discharge can destroy the controls in a heart beat.

The design I went with is very robust and can withstand some pretty heavy abuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.