Any sub-$2000, small-medium, side loading stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Propane_Poor

Oct 20, 2018
Ohio
Hi there,

We're on the hunt for a new stove since our Vogelzang Defender, which I got on a clearance sale, requires 8 foot ceilings and ours are 7'6".

We really liked the Quadra Fire Yosemite and a dealer gave us a brochure, but I called Quadra Fire today and they said it's discontinued. Dealer must not sell many of them..

So, are there any small to medium side loading stoves under (or right about) $2000 that comes to anyone's mind?

Thanks!

Well, it's almost sub-2K. ;) I don't think you'll find anything that even comes close for this kind of money. But I haven't tried one yet, just going on what's been said by owners. Or are you strictly looking for a tube stove?
http://woodstove.com/index.php/new-absolute-steel-hybrid

Last edited:
Thanks for the link. I believe our insurance requires stoves to be listed so unfortunately Woodstock is out until they decide to go that route.
I was looking primarily at non catalytic stoves anyway although I know many do like their catalytic ones.

I'd also suggest the Woodstock Absolute. It is a hybrid, so not strictly catalytic. Regarding being "listed" that should not be a problem, although you may want to hire a professional sweep to do the install (maybe that is what you were referring to, since Woodstock does not do full-service installation?).

The 8 ft listing is silly. Contact Vogelzang support and ask if this is a typo. And if not, ask if a ceiling heat shield on 1" spacers would qualify. If so, get them to put this in writing.

Thank you all.

I had read (not verified) that Woodstock, had not gone through the process of having their stoves tested and certified to UL (Underwriting Laboratories) standards-- I.E. my current stove, which I've yet to use, states it's listed to meet UL 1482. My insurance broker said their underwriters require stoves to be UL listed.

I agree on the ceiling. Unfortunately Vogelzang isn't responding via phone or email (great Chinese support, eh?) so unless that changes, I'll probably use that in the garage and get a nicer model for the house.
I don't believe it's a typo as they have it in multiple places, in the manual for multiple models, and the equivalent in meters.

Stupid and overkill, but for some reason deliberate.

I tried looking up U.L. 2010 standards requirements even, but the actual documents are blocked behind paywalls and cost hundreds of dollars to download from technical journal sites. Surprising as I can usually find things like that if I look hard enough,

I also really like the Woodstock stove!! I think it is 2020 epa certified.

One issue with Woodstock is that you can not use a blower fan on any of their stoves... but that may not be an issue. (I think this is correct).

From the Woodstock manual:
"Tested To UL 1482-2011 7th Edition Listed By PFS Corporation"

My insurance broker said their underwriters require stoves to be UL listed.
I'll probably use that in the garage and get a nicer model for the house.
I don't believe it's a typo as they have it in multiple places, in the manual for multiple models
I tried looking up U.L. 2010 standards requirements even, but the actual documents are blocked behind paywalls and cost hundreds of dollars to download from technical journal sites. Surprising as I can usually find things like that if I look hard enough,
I would assume that the insurance guy knows next to nothing, if not less. But get in writing the full requirements so you can figure it all out. If you have to cut that insurance co. loose, so be it.
You have to be careful putting a stove in a garage..rules about flammables and such. If it turns out you can't put a stove in the garage, you may as well try the Defender in the house (assuming you can get the specs hashed out.) A buyer is only going to give you half of retail, even if the stove hasn't been used, so you might as well try it out. Then you will know all the flaws of a cheap stove and it'll be easier to convince your wife that you need to spend more money on a better stove. ;)

Why side load door?

Lastly...

I asked where you live cause I can recommend insurance agents (Massachusetts)... NO JOKE... saved THOUSANDS!!!! (but yes it is for multiple properties).