Any repair advice?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Veracity

Dec 20, 2014
Long Island, NY
Hello,

My Lopi Large Flush Wood Hybrid Fyre insert is about four seasons old now. (Replaced the Cat last season)

The guy who had been doing all of my maintenance retired about two years ago...leaving me to use a local chimney installation and cleaning company.

They have not done a good job. We have had draft problems as soon as the new company took over.

Any advice as to how I can find a reputable person to address this problem?

I’m on Long Island.

Thank you.

Its pretty hard to screw that one up. Either they aren’t cleaning the cat, more likely they aren’t getting the cap clean. Do they clean it from inside? Or do they get on the roof?

Hello,

My Lopi Large Flush Wood Hybrid Fyre insert is about four seasons old now. (Replaced the Cat last season)

The guy who had been doing all of my maintenance retired about two years ago...leaving me to use a local chimney installation and cleaning company.

They have not done a good job. We have had draft problems as soon as the new company took over.

Any advice as to how I can find a reputable person to address this problem?

I’m on Long Island.

Thank you.
You could try asking your neighbors who they use and if they're satisfied. Find someone that has been in business a while and has a good reputation. Sometime that takes a little legwork. The CSIA link is helpful but not necessarily an indicator of quality of work. It does indicate that they can study and pass a test.

Reactions: webby3650
The CSIA link is helpful but not necessarily an indicator of quality of work. It does indicate that they can study and pass a test.
You got that right. There’s a lot of “certified” sweeps out there that don’t know the first thing about modern appliances. Many refuse to clean the cat or much of the stove at all.

@Veracity, what part of LI is this? @Dix can you recommend someone?

I can, depends on the area. I'm in Brookhaven Town, and have used this company in the past for repairs to the masonary chimney the PE is in , and was very happy.

https://chiefchimney.com/

They are in Smithtown.

How about doing it yourself? The stove and chimney cleaning isn't very complicated? And you'll know it's done right.

Called above company. No answer machine not taking messages. I think member “chemie” I could be wrong with name. Had this same problem when he purchased his new blaze king. Insulated liners and block off plates are foreign in these parts! Don’t need them I’ve been told.

How about doing it yourself? The stove and chimney cleaning isn't very complicated? And you'll know it's done right.
Just because you did it yourself doesn’t always mean it’s right. There’s a lot to know, it’s not simply dropping a broom. Especially with these hybrid stoves.

Just because you did it yourself doesn’t always mean it’s right. There’s a lot to know, it’s not simply dropping a broom. Especially with these hybrid stoves.
This. I’m pretty sure I installed my liner backwards. But chimney has since changed. I just need someone who knows more than me. Unfortunately in no longer naive thanks to this website!!

Call Soot Solutions 631-403-4755

Funny you respond. Last night it was decided we should just get the Ashford 25 insert I’ve been wanting!
Hopefully we’ll get a chance to get out and look at it Saturday. I’ll have whoever I get it from remove what’s in there and replace with I’m sure another uninsulated liner, hopefully the correct direction!
Hopefully I’ll join that other thread

I should mention chief chimney did respond to email that there out of office so they do get back to you. Doesn’t look like they carry blaze king products

@Veracity did you call Soot Solutions?

Rob, it would be better to start a separate thread for your issues and questions.

I should mention chief chimney did respond to email that there out of office so they do get back to you. Doesn’t look like they carry blaze king products
There are 3-4 very good BK on LI. PM me for support. I won’t list them here.