Any one hear about clean renewable propane?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

peakbagger

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jul 11, 2008
Northern NH

Yes, it can be made out of a byproduct of biodiesel made from soybeans. The reality is the vast majority is fossil based, its effectively a byproduct like natural gas can be from oil fields. If someone is willing to pay a premium then they can get it made from renewable feedstock.

There are currently predictions that US farmers are going to shift away from corn to soybeans to support renewable biodiesel production as the demand for ethanol starts to drop. There have been attempts to bump up ethanol blends in pump gas for several years to keep ethanol demand up but there is lot of resistance as a large amount of the current auto fleet cannot tolerate it and the problems with shelf life get worse as the blend goes up. If the soybean production goes up, the non oil component of soybeans will become a byproduct that will be probably be used for livestock feed or even people feed. You dont hear that much in the news in the rush to electrify the fleet that non fossil fuels are viable dropin replacements.

I have been running renewable diesel R99 in my tractor. It's not biodiesel, it's a different process. The tractor starts easier and runs smoother than with standard diesel. It's got a higher cetane rating (70-90) than even California spec diesel (55) and I think that's a big part of the difference. The cost is about the same or maybe slightly higher. It's supposed to attract less water than biodiesel too. It's enough better that I would run it even without the climate benefits.

If you grow plants for fuel the carbon for the fuel came from the air, so it's not increasing the carbon load on the surface of the planet like using oil, gas or coal that had been safely buried does. However the carbon for the fuel and electricity that was used to grow, harvest and process the plants into fuel often comes from oil, gas or coal.

It would probably take a lot of land to grow enough soybeans to provide enough R99 to run all the diesel vehicles that are now in service. But maybe when most are electric getting their power from solar, providing fuel to the remaining diesel vehicles won't take so much land.

I think the government is targeting soybeans as a source for renewable jet fuel. Its been tested and it works as long as economics are ignored. The other way of making renewable diesel is a far more complex process than biodiesel and the resulting fuel can be customized. The German's developed the Fischer-Tropsch process before WW2 and there are many other refinements to take the stored carbon in plants and reform it into whatever fuel is needed, it all comes down to the fuel is a lot more money to make than fossil fuels and unless renewables are used to grow it and make it, its probably a net carbon emitter like ethanol.

Note there is new federal money to subsidize waste wood to jet fuel plants, they technically can work but to date the US has been burned many times subsidizing plants that claim to make liquid fuels from wood only for the firms to self destruct. Look up Range Fuels and Lanza Tech so see how Vinod Khosla, a big Silicon Valley venture capitalist ripped off the government https://www.biofuelsdigest.com/bdigest/2011/12/05/the-range-fuels-failure/ Its not the only one by far.

It’s a shame. They’ll have to use the leftover corn to make whiskey.

There are currently predictions that US farmers are going to shift away from corn to soybeans to support renewable biodiesel production as the demand for ethanol starts to drop.
Current pricing soy is the only not terrible commodity. I’d don’t see US agriculture as being really competitive in the world market. The amount of grain Russia has stolen from Ukraine then needed to offload has driven markets down.

I don’t see green fuels as a long term solution. The aviation industry might be one exception. But then would it be better to oust the resources that to carbon capture instead of green jet fuel? We could tax each seat 15$ then invest that money in renewables. Let’s just call it 15 billion a year. That’s substantial.

A glut of corn is coming along just in time to fuel a revolution if precision fermentation. Soon all that 'extra protein' in our processed food will be yeast-derived whey protein and casein made for half the price as that from old Bessie.

Sell Dairy.

Buy Kellanova shares (Kellogg split the company into to new companies, W.R. Kellogg is the old school cereal and snack business while Kellanova is the plant based protein buisness (Morningstar Farms).

To date I have not heard of non dairy based ice cream that is a match for premium ice cream like Ben and Jerry's, butter fat seems to be tough to imitate.

Buy Kellanova shares (Kellogg split the company into to new companies, W.R. Kellogg is the old school cereal and snack business while Kellanova is the plant based protein buisness (Morningstar Farms).

To date I have not heard of non dairy based ice cream that is a match for premium ice cream like Ben and Jerry's, butter fat seems to be tough to imitate.
I’ve had some great vegan ice cream, if you like coconut!

There are yeast-based casein ice creams on the market.

I knew someone who was one of their volunteer tasters at years ago. They were regular employees thatgot together on occasion to sample proposed new flavors. If they gave it a variety a thumbs down it might end up at the Ben and Jerry Graveyard in Waterbury https://www.benjerry.com/flavors/flavor-graveyard