Any new opinions on the Hearthstone Green Mountain line of stoves?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JBrd

Jun 25, 2024
Brian Head, UT
Hello. I’m brand new to wood stoves but have been learning so much on this site. It’s really been helpful. We are in the market for one for a cabin we are building. The dealer we are working with sells Hearthstone and Jotul, among others. I really like the look of the Hearthstone Green Mountain stoves. It seems like a newer line though and I’ve seen a few complaints on here. We would need the GM 80 but in general, what does everyone think about this line? Is it known to be good?Thank you!

I purchased the Green Mountain 60 last March. I have only burned in it probably 4 times because the weather warmed up for the season by the time I got it in the house. This is obviously a very shore term review but I will give you my incites anyway. I love the way it looks, nice modern exterior design and a really big glass door for viewing the fire. The few times I burned with it, it heated a good portion of my 2500 sq ft home. I did not buy this stove for the intention of primary heating but just because I like wood burning and if it heated the house that was a bonus. I have mine installed with two 90 deg. elbows and about 22 ft of chimney. I drafts well, I have very little smoke roll out if any when I open the door, and it seems to burn wood pretty efficiently when dialed in correctly. I have a ton still to learn with this stove as far burning wood in it to its max potential, but the few fires I have had in it I have enjoyed. I have read some negative reviews on the stove and maybe its way to early but I am happy with my purchase. The one and only thing that I do not like is the door handle has a scratchy feeling when I close the door. I would prefer a nice smooth solid latch feeling and may try to mess with it a little to see if I can make it better.

They are great looking stoves for sure but I’ve seen some reports that they are a little draft sensitive. I asked a local dealer if they have had any issues with the new Hearthstone hybrids and he said they run better without the cat like the old stoves did and has been recommending taking them out to his customers if they have issues.

I purchased the Green Mountain 60 last March. I have only burned in it probably 4 times because the weather warmed up for the season by the time I got it in the house. This is obviously a very short term review but I will give you my incites anyway. I love the way it looks, nice modern exterior design and a really big glass door for viewing the fire. The few times I burned with it, it heated a good portion of my 2500 sq ft home. I did not buy this stove for the intention of primary heating but just because I like wood burning and if it heated the house that was a bonus. I have mine installed with two 90 deg. elbows and about 22 ft of chimney. I drafts well, I have very little smoke roll out if any when I open the door, and it seems to burn wood pretty efficiently when dialed in correctly. I have a ton still to learn with this stove as far burning wood in it to its max potential, but the few fires I have had in it I have enjoyed. I have read some negative reviews on the stove and maybe its way to early but I am happy with my purchase. The one and only thing that I do not like is the door handle has a scratchy feeling when I close the door. I would prefer a nice smooth solid latch feeling and may try to mess with it a little to see if I can make it better.
Thanks, Dajolu. Really appreciate hearing your experience thus far. I hear complaints of ash falling easily out of the front door as it’s a shallow firebox. Have you noticed any of that? Do you wish you had an ash drawer?

They are great looking stoves for sure but I’ve seen some reports that they are a little draft sensitive. I asked a local dealer if they have had any issues with the new Hearthstone hybrids and he said they run better without the cat like the old stoves did and has been recommending taking them out to his customers if they have issues.
This is helpful. Thanks Todd. I, too, saw the posts about them being draft sensitive which I don’t fully understand. Our setup will have a 25ft chimney straight up. No elbows or anything. Does that sound like it will be ok? We are at a pretty high elevation ~9,800ft. I think I read that that can impact things.