Any idea what this is? Duravent DuraPlus pipe. I know, I should have gone with the DuraTech!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Bigger_Al

Feb 11, 2018
NW Arkansas
Any idea what this is?  Duravent DuraPlus pipe. I know, I should have gone with the DuraTech!

Mine has that on the lee side , we have strong winds blowing across an open field.
Ours is around 5 yrs old sometimes i cant even see it.
Don't think its a problem.
Problem i have is the caps has blown off 3 times. there is no way to anchor it just a snap lock.
anyone know if there is a different cap that i could screw it to the pipe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bigger_Al
If that is Air Cooled Dura Vent pipe, You might try a WeatherShield Tallboy cap, it has a 15" long pipe that gets squeezed then pushed into your pipe, then expands for security.
Any idea what this is?  Duravent DuraPlus pipe. I know, I should have gone with the DuraTech!

If that is Air Cooled Dura Vent pipe, You might try a WeatherShield Tallboy cap, it has a 15" long pipe that gets squeezed then pushed into your pipe, then expands for security.View attachment 238903
No they should be using the cap designed by duravent to work with their system.

Mine has that on the lee side , we have strong winds blowing across an open field.
Ours is around 5 yrs old sometimes i cant even see it.
Don't think its a problem.
Problem i have is the caps has blown off 3 times. there is no way to anchor it just a snap lock.
anyone know if there is a different cap that i could screw it to the pipe?

Interestingly, we have strong winds from the opposing side today. So some form of cooling vs. heating? I thought maybe just no insulation at that point in the pipe. I can hear the wind from inside by the stove, but it’s not affecting the burn.

I believe that is a triple wall pipe. Would MDWood be able to use some screws to hold the cap on the outer wall?
It may be possible I have never worked with it other than cleanings so I don't know how it is supposed to attach

I believe that is a triple wall pipe. Would MDWood be able to use some self tapping screws to hold the cap on the outer wall?

My cap is working fine to keep rain out and it’s not falling off either. It twist to lock. Just wondering there is what looks like a heat spot on the SS pipe.

Edit: just noticed you’re referring to MDWood’s reply, Sorry.

My Duraplus has the same heat spot on it. Showed up after several fires. I didn't think too much of it. Funny you mention that you should have gone with Duratech. As I was ordering the Duraplus, I kept thinking I should go with the Duratech, but I cheaped out and went with Duraplus. If I had known that most double wall is smaller OD than the Duraplus, I would have went that way because my install would have been easier. When I first installed the cap, I remember thinking hmmm.. no screws, we'll see how long this stays on. The first windy night I thought for sure it would be laying on the lawn, but it hasn't come off yet.