Any Hearthstone Manchester owners here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sean b

Oct 19, 2015
Central PA
This stove looks like it will fit within my hearth, give very long burn times and accept logs up to 24".

Anyone already have it?

There are some Manchester owners here and several threads on it. Not all owners may be online at this time. Have you tried the search function in this forum?

Last edited:
This stove looks like it will fit within my hearth, give very long burn times and accept logs up to 24".

Anyone already have it?

Yeah, going into my third season with it. No real complaints from me so far. I'm sure by now you found the side door issue. Haven't had any issues with my door :). I burn nights and weekends mostly and it meets all my needs. I can get 10-12 hour burns out of it no problem. Most mornings the blower is still running after 10 hours. Not sure if you've seen the stove in person but it is wide but not very deep. 24 inch logs fit and that's nice but no way you could load N/S. Because of the stoves shape and the E/W loading it can be difficult to really "pack" the stove full. This is not a complaint just letting you know how the firebox is configured.

Thanks. And I did search some past info here as begreen suggested. Was wondering if the manufacturer had corrected the issues.

Yes they addressed them pretty quickly a while ago.

We're on our third day of heating with a Manchester. Very pleased so far.
Wife likes the purring sound it makes sometimes :)
(traced that to a bit of vibration from the fan)

Reactions: brian_in_idaho
Prolly stated this before but I'm feeling overwhelmed with wood stove choices. This site really opened my eyes up to a ton of criteria and info. Very thankful for the willingness of so many to share their experiences.

It pretty much boils down to buying a stove that you can afford of a sufficient size to deliver the heat ya need and that you like to look at. Very few issues that come through here are the stove. Lots of issues come through here that are the quality of the fuel or operating technique.

That Manchester will get the job done if you feed it right and run it right.

I hear ya, Bart. But understand I currently have a lemon (VC neverburn) that I paid good money for and is dead in the water. I just want to make sure I do my due diligence on the next stove.

My fuel is at least 2 years and usually 3 years CSS before it hits the firebox. And I will read a manual several times before I operate.

For comparison if you are looking for a time proven reliable stove look at the Jotul F600. A new stove that also looks pretty good is the Quadrafire Explorer III.

Last edited:
I appreciate all tips, begreen and I'll follow up on them. One issue I have is my hearth seems to be limiting me to fewer stoves than I'd prefer to be able to choose from.

A quick study of those two stoves leaves me thinking they might be bigger than my house needs.

Last edited:
They are both the same size as the Manchester. All are ~ 3.0 cu ft stoves.

After you get away from that Neverburn a barrel stove will feel like success, or anything that isn't downdraft. That Manchester will do very well for you. As will a lot of stoves.

Status
Not open for further replies.