Any Hearthstone Bennington Users Here?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yankees1

Hearth Supporter
Mar 23, 2007
Any opinions from Bennington owners regarding this stove? Thinking about buying one for a 2300 square feet well insulated recreational metal building. Will not be living there and open one level floor plan.

It sounds like it might be a bit undersized depending on region and the building. What region will this be in? What is well-insulated? How high will the ceilings be?

I was once told that they are good units, but for the money you can do better. We looked at the Bennington, but ended up getting a Jotul instead. What are your options as far as what the dealer(s) sell? Are you set on getting a cast-iron stove?

Will the stove be far away from the gaming activity? You don't want to bump into a hot stove chasing a wild ping pong ball. If not, then a metal jacketed stove like a Pacific Energy or Napoleon might be a bit safer.

BeGreen said:
It sounds like it might be a bit undersized depending on region and the building. What region will this be in? What is well-insulated? How high will the ceilings be?

I was once told that they are good units, but for the money you can do better. We looked at the Bennington, but ended up getting a Jotul instead. What are your options as far as what the dealer(s) sell? Are you set on getting a cast-iron stove?

Will the stove be far away from the gaming activity? You don't want to bump into a hot stove chasing a wild ping pong ball. If not, then a metal jacketed stove like a Pacific Energy or Napoleon might be a bit safer.
Central Illinois in a 36x64 metal building and well insulated. There will be two bedrooms but most of the building is open for entertaining. Ceilings eight/nine feet high. Most brands are available in our area. I thought I wanted a soapstone but decided on cast as the soap takes so long to heat up. We are not living in this building, just our play house for friends and family. This will be a corner installation so there shouldn't be a problem with anyone running into it. Any advice will be appreciated!

For cast iron - Jotul Oslo, Quadrafire Isle Royale, VC Defiant, Morso 3640 come to mind. But if it were me, I'd look hard at a PE Summit in this application.

I'd think a bunch about your useage pattern - If you aren't going to be living in the building most of the time, how will it be heated (if at all), and to what temperature?

I'm guessing, but I would suspect that your normal process will be to keep some kind of "conventional" (Dino farts, electric, etc) heating system on to maintain a minimal "keep the pipes from freezing" temp most of the time, (You didn't mention a bathroom, but if you are having a guest room I'd assume there was one, maybe a kitchenette and/or bar....) except when you are having guests.

When you do have company, I'm guessing just beacause it seems to be in the nature of such things, that you might not always have tons of notice; so you might well want a stove that will heat up very quickly, and throw LOTS of heat over a short time to get the playspace up to temp ASAP. Presumably it would be nice to be able to turn the heat down for an occasional overnight burn (I noticed the guest rooms) but that doesn't sound like it would be as important to you.

I would probably think your best bet would be a BIG stove in plate steel or cast iron (for rapid heat up) with a good convection blower system that will allow you to build a honkin' big fire to get the place warmed up and be neat to sit around, then allow you to turn the heat down once things were cozy. Since you sound like this is an entertainment space, presumably having a big window to view the fire through, and / or possibly having the option of a fire screen or leaving the door open so the kids could toast marshmallows or make popcorn, etc. might be useful?

Not sure what your best bet would be, maybe a Quad Island Royale? Extra Large Dutchwest? VC Encore or Defiant?

Gooserider

Gooserider said:
I'd think a bunch about your useage pattern - If you aren't going to be living in the building most of the time, how will it be heated (if at all), and to what temperature?

I'm guessing, but I would suspect that your normal process will be to keep some kind of "conventional" (Dino farts, electric, etc) heating system on to maintain a minimal "keep the pipes from freezing" temp most of the time, (You didn't mention a bathroom, but if you are having a guest room I'd assume there was one, maybe a kitchenette and/or bar....) except when you are having guests.

When you do have company, I'm guessing just beacause it seems to be in the nature of such things, that you might not always have tons of notice; so you might well want a stove that will heat up very quickly, and throw LOTS of heat over a short time to get the playspace up to temp ASAP. Presumably it would be nice to be able to turn the heat down for an occasional overnight burn (I noticed the guest rooms) but that doesn't sound like it would be as important to you.

I would probably think your best bet would be a BIG stove in plate steel or cast iron (for rapid heat up) with a good convection blower system that will allow you to build a honkin' big fire to get the place warmed up and be neat to sit around, then allow you to turn the heat down once things were cozy. Since you sound like this is an entertainment space, presumably having a big window to view the fire through, and / or possibly having the option of a fire screen or leaving the door open so the kids could toast marshmallows or make popcorn, etc. might be useful?

Not sure what your best bet would be, maybe a Quad Island Royale? Extra Large Dutchwest? VC Encore or Defiant?

Gooserider
Thanks for all your information! I went ahead (after a LOT of research) and bought the PE Summit Classic! I got it in red with a black door, legs, trivit and a blower! I bought it local and paid a total of $2300. including taxes! Can't wait for next winter! :)

Oh boy, whorehouse red #2. What will we do with you and Roo. ;-)

-- Good choice yankees1, I think you're going to be a very happy camper.

Status
Not open for further replies.