Any alternatives to the Ceramic Fiberboard (1/2" concrete board looking rectangle baffles inside top of my Englander)??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

777funk

Sep 12, 2014
MO
These things are $80 each (x2) plus shipping . That's going to be a good portion of what I paid for the stove a couple years ago.

I tried concrete board and it became brittle and cracked after a few fires. Anything else I could try?

I wish you luck. That price is ridiculous.

You might be able to get generic ceramic fiberboard and cut it down. Or perhaps fit thick sheet(s) of steel there and put a kaowool insulation blanket on top?

That sounds like a good idea.

I'm considering a couple of ceramic tiles to the correct size and a layer of mineral wool insulation (leaving vertical room as to not plug the chimney exhaust) on top of that. No idea if it will work or if they would hold up. I guess it's a gamble on the tiles unless someone else has tried it.

Where do you live in Mo. I've got some that I will give away. It's a high density ceramic board.

Wow! Thank you!

I reported back to edit my previous post. I happened to have some scrap tile (I think it's ceramic) and put a piece in the woodstove. It cracked in about 5 minutes of fire. So scratch that idea!