Any advice before I start the hearth/stonework install?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Arch over door or no arch?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LarrryG

Jan 2, 2015
Front Royal, VA
Greetings!

I know there are some really knowledgeable guys out there, so I'm looking to get as much "advice/ideas/watchout for's/don't do this" as I can before I start!

I finished my 44 Elite install & have been using it since December- love it. Heating 2 floors, burning Red Oak and the favorite spot for the family to sit is right in front of the unit.

I just picked up the "Autumn Leaf" roughcut stone, one piece bluestone hearth & mesh... see second image for store display of stone selected. The picture shows the layout. I think it a bit strange that the stove had less than an inch depth between the can & the doors- making the stove recessed by the time I put the mesh & 1/2 inch thinset, then stone verneer, but it is what it is. One question I have is- How many screws to attach the mesh, going into durarock then stove. Thank you in advance!
Any advice before I start the hearth/stonework install? Any advice before I start the hearth/stonework install?

The completed project. I used the overgrout style to finish, I'd probably not go that route again as I think the stone should show a bit more. Anyways, it was my first stab at installing, cutting stone, cutting hearth... Most proud of archways on each side, this was a last minute request by the Wife & they came out nice.

Attachments

• Any advice before I start the hearth/stonework install?
    IMG_0882.JPG
    82.9 KB · Views: 228
    IMG_0884.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 206
Looks beautiful!

Looks awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only have two things to say...Your hired, when you can you start.

Fantastic looking!

+++ Looks Great! +++

B E A utiful. I bet that hearth stone was heavy.

B E A utiful. I bet that hearth stone was heavy.
Yes! it was. My Son & I were able to place it once mud was down. I built a rig that I used to get the fireplace into the house, so I used that to move hearth as well. I originally took some pneumatic wheels & fastened between heavy angle iron & then just screwed it all into the crate the fireplace was shipped in. The dealer was impressed, as he generally hires 6 college kids to move stoves inside. The rubber wheels were great as I did not have to worry about scratching my floor. We got it in & in place with 3 guys, could have done it with two.

Attachments

firerig.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 101
Reactions: BenTN
Status
Not open for further replies.