Another wood shed completed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Michael Sean

Jul 3, 2017
Kentucky
Got my lean to wood shed finally built. Should be able to get 2 cords in there pretty easy.

5EC9311D-0818-4E1A-9D5F-813190CA0060.jpeg

Out at the barn for the winter, then I’ll bring her back up after burning season. I’m trying to get the rest of the pictures uploaded

Do you expect to empty it each season, say, burn more than two cords? I only ask because I didn't address access to the rear of a wood shed (for rotation), and I had to do some retro-fitting to address my oversight.

But that is good lookin'!

Do you expect to empty it each season, say, burn more than two cords? I only ask because I didn't address access to the rear of a wood shed (for rotation), and I had to do some retro-fitting to address my oversight.

But that is good lookin'!
Yes we burn roughly 3 cords depending on the winter. This sheds sole purpose is to just get the wood beside the house and to keep it dry. Next year I plan on building a much bigger wood shed to store about 3 years worth of wood. That way I can css the wood and just leave it to dry and not have to handle it so much.

Reactions: Soundchasm
Yes we burn roughly 3 cords depending on the winter. This sheds sole purpose is to just get the wood beside the house and to keep it dry. Next year I plan on building a much bigger wood shed to store about 3 years worth of wood. That way I can css the wood and just leave it to dry and not have to handle it so much.

Excellent! My grand oversight in design was rotation. Access to the back is mildly adequate, but I think it would have been a LOT better to segment the thing in half, one year per side. My shed is 3.5 cords, and if I use 2 cords, that leaves 1.5 cords to UNSTACK, replace, and then restack. Ugh!

It's kind of fun to keep upgrading the system, but don't dig a big hole like I did and jump in it. ;)

I plan on segmenting the big wood shed I build. I’d like to have three different bays with each bay holding 3-4 cords of wood. I really like the look of this shed

9D1059DC-D58B-4540-8F02-85F6C8F14E46.png

Now you're talkin'!! That is EXACTLY right. One bay per year. I know you already know, but keep in mind the debris that comes off the wood. Can't say for sure but suspect it'll certainly it'll cover up a nice crushed gravel floor pretty quickly.

Can't find the link right now, but somebody posted using a metal fence of some sort as a separator and it was beautiful. Can't recall the keyword, but it was like "cattle separator" or something. Saw it at Tractor Supply. Will post if I can remember.

Now you're talkin'!! That is EXACTLY right. One bay per year. I know you already know, but keep in mind the debris that comes off the wood. Can't say for sure but suspect it'll certainly it'll cover up a nice crushed gravel floor pretty quickly.

Can't find the link right now, but somebody posted using a metal fence of some sort as a separator and it was beautiful. Can't recall the keyword, but it was like "cattle separator" or something. Saw it at Tractor Supply. Will post if I can remember.
I say bark would collect pretty quickly but if one was to just pick it up periodically it wouldn’t be too bad. Plus bark makes good fire starters

Cattle panels/hog/livestock panels depends on the style ...they are 16’ long and come in various heights and wire spacings need bolt cutters or a grinder to trim them to fit ...not trying to barge in I just used to work at tractor supply part time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk