Another Warm Winter with the Jotul F45

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Zack R

Feeling the Heat
Sep 27, 2017
Sisters, OR
flic.kr
All of the hard work cutting, splitting and stacking wood last spring was worth it. I've been running the Jotul F45 as a whole house heater for the second winter now and the furnace never needs to run.

I'll probably run out of wood in the next few weeks, started with between 5-6 cords of pine.

Another Warm Winter with the Jotul F45

Attachments

• Another Warm Winter with the Jotul F45
    upload_2019-3-12_9-34-49.png
    19.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: begreen
Well done, that is impressive for Bend. Are you burning mostly lodgepole pine?

Last edited:
Well done, that is impressive for Bend. Is that mostly with burning lodgepole pine?

Mostly lodgepole but this year there's a also a lot of ponderosa in the mix. Ponderosa isn't the greatest but it works (lots of bark, not as much heat).

I'm actually about 30 minutes south of Bend which is nearly 1000' higher in elevation and much colder than town (climate is a closer match to La Pine, frequently below 0F in the winter). I also work from home so I can keep it loaded and running 24x7.

We are in the process of looking for larger house where I plan to continue heating as much as possible with wood. Really impressed with the F45's ease of use, I wonder if it's bigger brother the F55 is just as good? The single air control lever and no cat bypass makes it easy to show others how to correctly operate.

Reactions: begreen
I have the F55. I was home a lot this winter so I burned almost no propane.

The F55 has been very easy to operate. I love the simplicity of the stove. Mine is somewhat of a challenge due to the tall chimney I have (strong draft).

I had considered the F45, but I wanted a primarily radiant stove. Definitely a looker and the square firebox is awesome. My first stove was a wide rectangular stove, EW loading, but our new stove is a NS loader and I like it a lot more.

Mostly lodgepole but this year there's a also a lot of ponderosa in the mix. Ponderosa isn't the greatest but it works (lots of bark, not as much heat).

I'm actually about 30 minutes south of Bend which is nearly 1000' higher in elevation and much colder than town (climate is a closer match to La Pine, frequently below 0F in the winter). I also work from home so I can keep it loaded and running 24x7.

We are in the process of looking for larger house where I plan to continue heating as much as possible with wood. Really impressed with the F45's ease of use, I wonder if it's bigger brother the F55 is just as good? The single air control lever and no cat bypass makes it easy to show others how to correctly operate.
I'm a fan of KISS stoves too. The F45 should keep you warm for many years with minimal maintenance. The F55 is similar, with a bigger belly.