Another Step Closer to being a Woodburner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
The time has come to modify the ol 1950's Levitt fireplace to accommodate my pending Wood Insert purchase. The original as shown below was open on 3 sides and absolutely sucked at providing heat. I mixed mortar, cut bricks and demo'ed. My brother laid the brick. I still have to replace 3 firebrick on back wall, smooth out firebox floor and rip up tiled hearth that was laid incorrectly and then retile firebox and hearth.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] Another Step Closer to being a Woodburner
    SSPX1242.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 357
    SSPX1243.webp
    35.8 KB · Views: 361
    SSPX1248.webp
    19.5 KB · Views: 366
    SSPX1250.webp
    22.1 KB · Views: 341
    SSPX1253.webp
    22.9 KB · Views: 350
    IMG_0050.webp
    28 KB · Views: 372
    IMG_0051.webp
    24.8 KB · Views: 359
    IMG_0054.webp
    23.1 KB · Views: 347
This pic should appeared with the previous post.

Attachments

SSPX1106.webp
    15 KB · Views: 394
Nice masonry work. That is really going to be a nice warm mass of bricks once the insert gets things up to temperature. Thanks for the pictures.

looking good !

Beauty!!! Great job.

That's looking really nice! Once you get all those bricks warmed up they will hold the heat for a long time.

What stove will be going in there? FYI, I'd add a permanent, engraved plaque at the back of the fireplace clearly stating that this can no longer be used as a fireplace.

Thanks for the comments guys. BeGreen, Lopi Declaration or the new Fireplace Xtrordinair 33 Elite Plus (which is now one door). Viewable at http://www.fireplacex.com/. Not sure if I'm going with the rectangle or the arch door which will be out in about a month. As per your recommendation, how would you go about doing this plaque thing (material, engraving, etc)?

Also, can I use the same mortar I used for the bricks for the firebricks on the back of the fireplace or doesn't it matter?

Either should look great in there. For the plaque, go to a sports awards place and have them engrave a cheap and simple standard sized plate for you. It should be permanently attached to the back of the fireplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.