Another question on moving heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

TahoeJim

Dec 24, 2020
South Lake Tahoe
Hi, new to forum but have read a dozen posts on moving heat.

So far I understand moving cold air from cold areas of the house towards the stove is my best bet.
Situation: 2500 sqft 2 story house w an older Hearthstone soapstone stove in the dining room. Dining room / kitchen are quite warm, window-filled living room adjacent kitchen is chilly (but the views!)

Question: I’m considering running 2 ducts under the floor (uninsulated crawl space) from the far side of Siberia (floor vents in living room under windows) to BEHIND the wood stove, with a duct fan inline. Any issues with putting a duct hole through the brick hearth behind the stove? And softly blowing cool air up the back of my stove?

Another question on moving heat

It would be simpler to vent it adjacent to the hearth and that might reduce ash being blown around the room. The duct should be doubly insulated and if necessary, protected from rodent damage.

Thanks begreen I didn’t think about ash.

My wife’s favorite spot is sitting directly in front of the stove so was thinking she might feel a draft (very bad!) with a vent to the side, thus my idea of going behind. I have a dream of replacing the brick with stone that matches our fireplace, which would be an easier time than just chiseling out a brick.
Not worried about rodents as all hvac vents are under the floor already.