Another Newbie Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Twins_Dad

Hello all,
I have been lurking for some time now trying to find answers to my wood stove questions and finally decided to just post my questions to hopefully gain some clear guidance from some seasoned pros. Please forgive me as I am sure that this question has been asked multiple times, I am just having a hard time sifting through all of the information available on these forums to find a solid answer.

Scenario:
We bought a 2700 square foot log home (2 story, second story is half log half stick built) last winter and have spent the spring and summer completely renovating the home. When we purchased the home there was a HUGE steel "Mountain Aire" stove on the hearth. The previous owners had put it on the hearth but I suspect they did not use it as the clearances would not have been sufficient for this giant and there was a propane line run to the hearth as well. My wife and I do NOT want to run propane for a main heat source (furnace also propane) and so we are determined to replace the existing stove and my wife is in love with the PE Alderlea T-6. So I am trying to find a way to make this work efficiently.

Problem:
There is approximately 12-15 feet of 8" chimney existing and appears to be in good shape so I would like to use what is existing to help comfort my wallet. I would still need a tee and thimble as these are missing, and would need to add a few feet of chimney pipe on the top of the existing chimney to obtain the proper clearance for code. However, from what I have read the Alderlea has a 6" flue.

Question:
Would it be unadvised to run 6" double wall pipe into a 6" to 8" adapter in front of the thimble? I am concerned about getting a proper draft for operation at optimal performance.

Thank you all in advance and if there is more information needed, please ask.

Cheers,

Twins_Dad

I would stick with 6" as that's what the stove was designed for and conditions under which it was tested. That said, the stove manual doesn't state you can't change size:

The chimney fl ue size should be the same as the stove outlet for optimal performance. Reducing or increasing the fl ue size may adversely affect stove performance.

I believe the begreen has a PE Alderlea and might comment.

The PE T6 is an easy breathing stove. It should work ok with the plan to run 6" connector up to the thimble. I'd use double wall there. Be sure to have the current chimney pipe inspected for integrity and match with the same brand/type for replacement parts. FWIW a buddy has the Summit (same firebox) running into a short 8" chimney and it's doing fine.

Twins_dad, where are you located? Are you in a climate zone where draft is an issue due to mild outside temps?

Twins_dad, where are you located? Are you in a climate zone where draft is an issue due to mild outside temps?

If I am correct, he's in Northern California, but hopes not to be.

You probably dont "need" a Blaze King model King, but with 2700 sqft it's not out of the question.

Is your existing 8" chimney square masonry or round class A?

Thank you all for the advice, I truly appreciate it!

HisTreeNut is correct, I am located in Northern California (and hope not to be for too long) on the West side of the Sierra Nevada Mountains East of Sacramento at about 3500 ft in elevation. Though we typically see lows below freezing in the winter, our climate is fairly moderate compared to other parts of the US and the world, especially during the shoulder seasons. As suggested by begreen I did some further investigating of the existing chimney pipe (Poindexter, it is 8" Class A) and was unable to find a makers mark without getting out the extension ladder and risking another fall (dont ask) without my spotter (wife) around to keep me from doing anything stupid, so I will have to look again when I have a chance. However, I have a feeling what is there is not of high quality to begin with so I have a feeling I will end up replacing it with 6" Class A just for peace of mind. I found that my local shop is running a sale on the T6 and will discount pipe and chimney if I buy a stove so it looks like I will be dropping some cash this weekend even though I was not quite prepared to do so. That's kind of how it goes when you are remodeling a home though.

Please if anyone has any more insight as to things that I should be aware of please send it my way. This is my first go-round at installing a stove so any advise is welcome!

Sounds good. This is a smart time to buy a stove.

Will you be self-installing or will the dealer install? If self-install, for comparison pricing of the pipe you could check online at:
https://woodstovepro.com/chimney-pipe-venting-pipe/wood-all-fuel-piping/6-inch/duravent-duratech-6/
Download the DuraTech Instructions 5"-8" installation guide here, under the literature tab.
http://www.duravent.com/Product.aspx?hProduct=1
Thanks begreen! I will be installing the stove/pipe/chimney myself so I will add up everything that I would need and have that in my head when I head to the stove shop, though the person I talked to said the discount is 35% off pipe/chimney when you buy a stove (T6 is also 25% off right now!) and an additional 5% off of everything if you pay by cash or check. It will be interesting to see how the prices differ form an online source.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a pretty decent discount and a great deal on the stove. I think I'd go local in this case. You may need to return a part or get one to finish up the job. Besides, it keeps the money in the community which is always a good thing imo.