Another Farm Garn

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

heaterman

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2007
Falmouth, Michigan
We first set foot on this project in June last year to lay the first zone of almost 11,000 ft of tube. The farmer had purchased the Garn from me the year before in anticipation of building a new milking facility and used it the winter of 2009/10 to heat his house only. He moved it to the barn boiler/wood room during last summer and we got it running in January of this year while they worked on the interior of the new facility.
In a dairy barn the primary use is for heating wash water. The Garn is keeping 450 gallons at 120* and 240 gallons at 160*+ at all times. The heating side of the system consists of about 1500 sq ft which will be kept at around 55-60. (office, break room, parts room, vet room) About 3600 sq ft which will be kept at 35-45* (milking parlor area) and around 1500 kept at 45-55* (milk tank room and calf feed room) There is also a 60 x 120' area outside (holding area and return alleys) that is tubed so it can be kept ice free during worst case conditions.

The piping is all steel, 1-1/2" and 1" and as the pics show, we used two plate type heat exchangers to isolate the heating side (antifreeze protected) from the domestic hot water side. USDA people freak out about antifreeze even though correct boiler antifreeze is considered non toxic. They just don't get it. We don't connect the system directly to the plumbing for the same reason. The blue tanks you see function as expansion and feed tanks and are manually filled to about 30-40psi to allow for some system fill capacity.

Attachments

• Another Farm Garn
    DSC_0063.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 684
  • Another Farm Garn
    DSC_0065.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 670
  • Another Farm Garn
    DSC_0060.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 689
  • Another Farm Garn
    DSC_0062.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 676
  • Another Farm Garn
    DSC_0061.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 683
Looks like a very complex and Professional layout!!

A real classy set-up, Heaterman. I recall a post in the past mentioning the dairy operation. You got away with single wall HX's? Deep Portage was required to use a double wall for DHW. The dairy operation needs seem to be ideally suited to the Garn. Please describe the 4-way mixing valve application and control.

jebatty said:
A real classy set-up, Heaterman. I recall a post in the past mentioning the dairy operation. You got away with single wall HX's? Deep Portage was required to use a double wall for DHW. The dairy operation needs seem to be ideally suited to the Garn. Please describe the 4-way mixing valve application and control.

Thanks Jim. You're right about the dairy being an ideal "match" for a Garn. Loads are typically severe for short periods of time with an extended "idle" period with which to recover water temp. Having that much storage allows one to pull heat out of the unit that far exceeds it's firing rate for a short period of time.

We actually have double separation with the HX's.........triple between the glycol and wash water. The smaller 5x12-80 HX is the domestic water side from the Garn. 1-1/2" pipe runs from that around to the other side of the barn where we have a SuperStore indirect doing part of the heat transfer and a second plate HX serving another area.

The 4 way is there just to serve as water temp control on the floor heat side of things. We ran water temps of around 100-110 last winter. It is weather responsive and varies the water temp according to outdoor temp. IT also provides warm weather shut down after a fashion by diverting 100% of the flow back to the boiler loop at a given outdoor temp. No temp protection is needed for the Garn at anything above 110 actual boiler temperature. Taco I-series motorized valve.

One of my biggest Dairy farmers i haul for, just sprung a leak in his Royal OWB. I've been trying to push him towards a Garn if he replaces. He burns about 60 cord a year. Heats his house, indoor pool, 35x45 garage, plus basic heat and hot water for barn. i'll forward this link on to him.

60 cord? HOLY COW Flyingcow! That's more than a cord a week....WOW. Now that is a LOT of wood, perhaps an estate of wood.

Always great to see your setups Steve....I hope someday someone refers to #2808 of an "old girl".

He is a very efficient farmer, wish i had more like him. But not on the wood burning side. He also has a less than desirable underground piping. Between the OWB and loss in the underground, that jumps his wood consumption up.

Status
Not open for further replies.