Annoying Whistling Sound From Blowers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jadm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 31, 2007
colorado
Lately I have been hearing a high pitched whistle from the blowers on my insert.

They do not do this when first turned on. Happens when warmed up.

Whistle is not constant. It comes and goes.

It is worse when blowers are on high.

Any ideas or do I just live with it? I do not remember them doing this before.....

Thanks

Did you open it up and clean it this year. Could just take a cleaning or a dab of oil on a shaft or other to get rid of the whine.

CTwoodburner said:
Did you open it up and clean it this year. Could just take a cleaning or a dab of oil on a shaft or other to get rid of the whine.

Yes I did clean it out and I vacuum it regularly too.

Haven't tried the oil.

What kind do you suggest?

Where, exactly do I put it? Does it require taking the blower apart?

Please note I am NOT mechanically inclined.....Hopefully I can oil it without taking it apart.....

Thanks

Look at your local hardware store for a "zoom spout oiler". It will be a little clear plastic tube of oil with what almost looks like a hypodermic needle on one end with a bend in it. It is what quite a few HVAC techs i know use to reach the oiling ports on blowers in furnaces. It will enable you to get a drop of oil on the shaft ends of the motor. If not you can use oil that is for motors and sewing machines available in a small can at most hardware stores.

This is a bit of shooting in the dark because my insert is the Xtrordinaire 33/Lopi Declaration. But, the blowers likely need a bit of oil like has been suggested. I use some teflon laced lube I got at a sewing machine shop as has also been suggested. I'd suggest zeroing in on the non-motor side of the blower. On the Lopi set up, there is a little rubber plug that holds a solid brass bearing collar and the pin from the end of the blower squirrel cage goes through the middle. There isn't much room for any lube to do its job or last that long. Clean and put a drop of oil on the pin and I'd wager your whistle or squeak will be gone.

Thanks for replies.

I ended up calling the shop where I bought our insert and the sales woman called Jotul to ask. Was told that their blowers can't be oiled due to how they are constructed....She suggested that I wait and see what happens. Either it will get better or it will get worse. Hard to diagnose when it is intermittent.

So I shall wait and hope it clears up on it's own. ALready had to replace one last winter but it was still under warranty...

If the fan blades/squirrel cage is movable on the shaft try loosening the setscrew and move it forward or back a bit to change the aerodynamics of it. You might also try placing a bit of rigid fiberglass insulation somewhere along the airflow path to see if that might de-tune the resonance that causes the whistle. Kind of the opposite of shaking the spit out of a whistle. Fiberglass ceiling panels are a good source of rigid insulation as the vinyl face peels off easily.

I'm going to take this in another direction. You said a whistle, I would think it's an air leak. The draw of the blowers are pulling air from around a gasket break, a loose screw or mounting bolt, or worst case a crack in the stove. I would start by isolating the noise. Try to find it's source. If you can't, get your screwdriver and wrench handy and snug up anything you can find related to the blowers, and make sure the intake is all tight and sealed.

A few years back, I had a whistle driving me nuts in a pellet stove. Turns out when I cleaned I didn't get one of the cover plates quite seated. It was out enough to provide a very high pitched whistle, but only at a certain temperature. Now when I clean, everything gets double checked when refitted.

littlesmokey said:
I would start by isolating the noise. Try to find it's source...
You make a good point. Use a length of pipe or hose to locate the whistle. Hold one end to your ear and move the other end around to hunt for it.

littlesmokey said:
I'm going to take this in another direction. You said a whistle, I would think it's an air leak. The draw of the blowers are pulling air from around a gasket break, a loose screw or mounting bolt, or worst case a crack in the stove. I would start by isolating the noise. Try to find it's source. If you can't, get your screwdriver and wrench handy and snug up anything you can find related to the blowers, and make sure the intake is all tight and sealed.

A few years back, I had a whistle driving me nuts in a pellet stove. Turns out when I cleaned I didn't get one of the cover plates quite seated. It was out enough to provide a very high pitched whistle, but only at a certain temperature. Now when I clean, everything gets double checked when refitted.

agreed. do you smell a little smoke? or is it going thru a little more wood? or not getting the same amount of burn time?
maybe a seem on the jacket for the fan ducting. this sounds like a problem we had here a few years ago with a member that had a harmon stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.