And the stove hunt continues.....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rwhite

Minister of Fire
Nov 8, 2011
North Central Idaho
Slowly edging the wife towards the NC30 if they go on sale. Everything so far has been a bust or over priced. Did find a Quadrafire cape cod in very good shape but the lack of available parts has me a bit worried. I've heard some parts are interchangeable with the isle royal but no confirmation yet. Here's a few others on the watch list:
Enviro 1600, can't find a whole lot of info but what I have found has been positive .

Lennox Country SS210, wife actually liked this steel stove. Other then the "center step" it's not a whole lot different then the 30

Hearthstone Castleton , beautiful stove in excellent condition . Just don't know if I want to swallow the $1500 their asking.

Recency R9. needs cleaned up but doesnt appear in to bad of condition.

As you can see I'm all over the board on stoves. I'm um..."frugal". my wife calls it something else though . I just want a solid good looking stove for cheap. She wants a decoration.

If considering the 30 you may want to have a looksie at the Drolet HT2000. Helped a buddy install and learn one this fall. Very impressive control on the burn. Easily getting 9+ hrs with questionable quality wood. Nice view as well.

It's going to be a large piece of furniture you're staring at every day of the year, not just when it's cold. Better make sure it's wife-approved, or you'll pay in other ways. In other words, if she likes the Hearthstone...

You can't go wrong getting what the wife wants. You can go wrong ignoring her opinion. And you'll be wrong every time she happens to look at the stove.

Reactions: earl764
If the Drolet is anything like other sbi stoves then it is on the list. My last house had an Osburn and it was a great stove.

She was actually kind of irreverent about the hearthstone. I really like it though but it's a bit higher then I want to spend.

Yes,
It's going to be a large piece of furniture you're staring at every day of the year, not just when it's cold. Better make sure it's wife-approved, or you'll pay in other ways. In other words, if she likes the Hearthstone...
that's how we needed up with a hearthstone. We are very happy with it. It is wife approved so I am happy.

The S210 is built like a tank and a good heater. Have you also looked at the Englander 50SSW01 and SSW02? (also sold under the Summer's Heat brand).

Last edited:
Ok one of the few ladies here.......what the guy said above is very true! Listen to your wife.....you will be so happy if you do. =) Being cheap is ok.....my hubby likes to save money. But it matters to me what the stove looks like. Esp since that is one of the first things people see when they walk into our house! I've been choosing between two stoves.....both have things I like. My hubby let this be my 'midlife crisis' (ripping out the old stupid z clearance propane fireplace that heated nothing) We ripped it ALL out fake rock and all. Cut the pipe...killed the bugger! It's gone. I told my hubby I wanted to see a fire and have it actually heat the house when the electricity goes out again and we are freezing or having to get the generator going. Why do that when you can have great heat right?

Anyway moral of the story....my hubby let me run with it. And wow does he have a happy wife right now! LOL! So take it from me....listen to her....she will be happy and so will you in the long run.....

So after all that I show her a blaze king princess with the silver door and she loved it. Found a 6 year old princess in excellent condition. The guy was apparently done with wood so it comes with the corner hearth, 8ft of class a with cap and ceiling box and 6ft of double wall stove. All for 850. I'm on my way in the morning to get it. He said he's never changed the cat but I figured for that price it wouldn't be a big deal.

Reactions: Ashful
So after all that I show her a blaze king princess with the silver door and she loved it. Found a 6 year old princess in excellent condition. The guy was apparently done with wood so it comes with the corner hearth, 8ft of class a with cap and ceiling box and 6ft of double wall stove. All for 850. I'm on my way in the morning to get it. He said he's never changed the cat but I figured for that price it wouldn't be a big deal.
Awesome deal! Can't go wrong with a Princess! If you post on the BK Performance Thread, some of the Princess owners can tell you what to inspect when you go to look at the stove. My first guess, based on warnings in my own BK manual, is the damper frame. The damper frame on some cat stoves can be warped, if left to burn uncontrolled for extended periods with the cat bypassed.

Based on the reviews here, I was sold on the 30NC pretty quick. I consider myself very fortunate that my wife liked it as well.

And whoever said it above is exactly right: You are going to be seeing it every day 24/7/365, so it better look good.

And I gotta admit, this looks good!

And the stove hunt continues.....

Reactions: kennyp2339
Great deal! I love that stove but hate how it looks. Some of the BK models look awesome though. I really like the ideal steel hybrid stove so I got one. Plenty of people hate the look of the IS so go figure. You know what they say about opinions .

Reactions: Ashful and chance04
Status
Not open for further replies.