An interesting problem with my Drolet.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

WriteNoob

Burning Hunk
Nov 30, 2013
Eau Claire, Wisconsin
I've had my Drolet Baltic v.1 for 4 years now, without so much as a hiccup. Until last night, that is. It uses a fine threaded rod, through a thickened, threaded part of the cast iron door as a latch mechanism. Last night, with no warning, the latch very nearly refused to budge. By working it back and forth, I got it to loosen up enough to be reasonably usable. This morning it was back, worse. Tonight, I used a 14" pipe wrench to operate it. Anybody experienced this, whether with Drolet, or other brands? I'm thinking I'll have to break out the tap and die set, and re-tap/clean out the threads. Weird, huh?

How about some anti-seize lube on the threads?

I've had my Drolet Baltic v.1 for 4 years now, without so much as a hiccup. Until last night, that is. It uses a fine threaded rod, through a thickened, threaded part of the cast iron door as a latch mechanism. Last night, with no warning, the latch very nearly refused to budge. By working it back and forth, I got it to loosen up enough to be reasonably usable. This morning it was back, worse. Tonight, I used a 14" pipe wrench to operate it. Anybody experienced this, whether with Drolet, or other brands? I'm thinking I'll have to break out the tap and die set, and re-tap/clean out the threads. Weird, huh?
Lube it. I used graphite powder, on top of a little light oil (oil was just to help the graphite stick).

Also take a picture of the problem area for us.

Lube it. I used graphite powder, on top of a little light oil (oil was just to help the graphite stick).

Also take a picture of the problem area for us.
I'll get a pic, tomorrow morning, when I reload. I've got new parts, since I keep them on hand, with this being my heat for the winter. What surprised me was that it happened all at once, and was so tight that when I used the pipe wrench, I was moving the stove. I may just cut off the inside, back it out, and try the new arm. If that one doesn't thread after I clean them, I'll chase them with a tap. Tried using an oil, and it actually got worse after the next fire. Might try som graphite never seize though. Thanks for the replies.