Am I paying too much?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Oct 31, 2019
MD
I'm down to two fireplaces - the Quadra-Fire 7100 and the RSF Opel 2 Plus. Installation probably couldn't be more straightforward. I already removed the old, worn-out fireplace. The existing 2'x4' chase is straight up and requires about 21'-22' of chimney pipe. I've received quotes of $9,000 to $9,500 from the two different dealers. I don't often see much price talk on here, but I've seen several people post installed prices well under this. Basically, $4-5k for the fireplaces, $2-2.5k for the chimney and other materials, and about $2-2.5k for labor. Seems darn expensive! Or am I just out of touch with these things? If that's the case, feel free to let me know!

Last edited:
The total cost is not out of line. $10-12K is typical. Materials seem a bit high, but we don't know all the costs for the installer. How far away from the dealer are you?

Wow, quick response... thanks! I'm less than 5 miles from either place. I'm actually a big diy guy, and there isn't much about what I think needs to be done that I couldn't handle. The exception is going up on the roof! I seem to have developed a slight (but probably healthy) fear of heights as I've grown older!

The Quadra-Fire 7100 has a list price of nearly $5,500 on their website. Is it normal for dealers to stick to this price? They are offering about $600 off, since it's identified as a 2019 closeout. I can't tell if that's really a special discount, or an amount they might offer at any time.

Is your fear of heights worth $3K? I am nearing the finish of my insert install, and I share a respect for heights, plus I am no kid anymore. In this case I stayed focused, and also realized that my efforts were worthwhile. Having the ladders very secure to the chimney gave me confidence and stability. Here is my arrangement. Also factor in your time and availability. My 30' flex liner plus insulation kit was under $1k in cost.

I had the same initial reaction. Seemed like a lot of money for a day's work.

But, there's lots of work out there to be done at the moment, and people will charge what the market will bear. There's a lot of home reno money flowing around the economy right now.

I'm about to sign off on an install that's going to be over $9k for the stove, pipe, hearth pad, and install. That's full retail plus a freight fee on the stove (who charges freight?!) I eventually came to the conclusion that my only real options were to pay today's inflated prices, wait for a recession, or burn my house down with a DIY install. I decided to just pay now. It's just money.

Tell them you'll pay cash and see if they will knock any prices down. Works for me for about 90% of the work I have done around my house. As for the actual price of install, I dunno if it sounds too out of line really...Nothing of quality is cheap for chimneys and stoves. Between my T5 stove, chimney, install labor I was around 7k. I wasn't into shopping around though, this was something I just needed done.

Is your fear of heights worth $3K? I am nearing the finish of my insert install, and I share a respect for heights, plus I am no kid anymore. In this case I stayed focused, and also realized that my efforts were worthwhile. Having the ladders very secure to the chimney gave me confidence and stability. Here is my arrangement. Also factor in your time and availability. My 30' flex liner plus insulation kit was under $1k in cost.
You've got me rethinking this! I actually have a side business that requires ladder work (A/V installation), just not usually from such heights... Anyhow, my normal way of doing such things is very deliberately... making sure everything is secure and my priority is staying safe. This is literally a straight up pipe installation. I'd probably take three times as long, however!

Tell them you'll pay cash and see if they will knock any prices down. Works for me for about 90% of the work I have done around my house. As for the actual price of install, I dunno if it sounds too out of line really...Nothing of quality is cheap for chimneys and stoves. Between my T5 stove, chimney, install labor I was around 7k. I wasn't into shopping around though, this was something I just needed done.
Yes, I'm sure I can get them down with cash. Cheaper for both parties.

I thought through the whole process and decided to do it myself. Happy to say that my new chimney pipe is now completely in place! I proceeded slowly and methodically, and took no shortcuts. I installed some 2x4s in my chase to serve as a ladder, and most of the work was done from inside the chase. The last two pipe sections were put in place from the top of the chase (outside). As it were, I ended up feeling comfortable with the height, because I was always certain everything was secure.

I thought through the whole process and decided to do it myself. Happy to say that my new chimney pipe is now completely in place! I proceeded slowly and methodically, and took no shortcuts. I installed some 2x4s in my chase to serve as a ladder, and most of the work was done from inside the chase. The last two pipe sections were put in place from the top of the chase (outside). As it were, I ended up feeling comfortable with the height, because I was always certain everything was secure.

My PE Summit cost $4000 to have professionally installed, and that is with double wall insulated excel SS chimney (25ft). So yeah, you're getting hosed, unless the price of everything has doubled in the past 4 years.

My PE Summit cost $4000 to have professionally installed, and that is with double wall insulated excel SS chimney (25ft). So yeah, you're getting hosed, unless the price of everything has doubled in the past 4 years.
Hey, thanks... That reply might have been helpful weeks ago.

Hey, thanks... That reply might have been helpful weeks ago.

Sorry, I can't catch every thread. This site used to have an unanswered questions tab, it appears that's gone now, or I would have answered sooner.

Unless you can get someone to do it today, in a timely manner, for $4k, I don’t think it matters. Unless, of course, you’re willing to wait.

Prices for all sorts of contracting work are really high right now. As far as I can tell, the only options are DIY, wait until prices fall, or don’t do it.

Did you replace the chase cover too? Got any pictures of how it turned out?

Free heat to a wood burner is about the same as free meat to a deer hunter. For a beautiful and functional built in fireplace you are going to pay quite a bit. Cheapos like me just plop a stove down and run a pipe out.

Am I paying too much?

I built this addition onto my log cabin, the near building is the addition. I built it 4 years ago and I was 64 at the time.
I did the log work and I did the rafters but did not feel comfortable climbing on a 12:12 pitch roof to install that stove chimney. I hired that out.
On the one hand, it cost me $1600, on the other hand, I can still walk around, and I am not in a wheelchair.

Last edited by a moderator: