Am I a homesteader now? Probably, cause I'm pissin the wife off...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremy85

Feb 14, 2011
Southeaast, NH
My story of no oil.. My wife. She mad. =)

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Wow.... Thats a Fire. Better start to turn the air down, before it melts down ;) j/k

Warm is warm whether it is thermostatically controlled or not. I keep enough oil in the tank that if I have to be gone, or the wife feels uncomfortable that she would have the option to flip the unit on. However, we haven't used it in years unless we are all gone for a few days. She's as big a fan of saving money while keeping the house toasty as I am.

Remember, education is key here. If she feels uncomfortable with the unit and / or its operation or its safety, that could easily cause her to be unhappy. Do what you can to keep things positive and her involved and share the savings / warmth with her!

So long as your unit has the chimney kept clean, all clearance to combustibles are met or exceeded, and the chimney is safe, then there isn't much she can do to really hurt a thing.

You win her over on this solid fuel burning deal now, and you'll be set for life.

pen

Jeremy, you are absolutely correct.

If it gets bad, have her come here, and talk to me. I can get a little
Am I a homesteader now? Probably, cause I'm pissin the wife off...

My wife likes . . . not loves . . . the woodstove.

What my wife dislikes the most is the woodchips and mess that invariably build up around the hearth (when I do not clean it) . . .

However, what she likes the most is the savings . . . and so we'll both keep on heating with wood (but the oil boiler is available whenever we're away from the house too long in the winter or if we get sick or lazy.)

Reactions: kettensäge
My furnace hasn't worked all winter. My wife does a good job with the stove, mostly because she doesn't have a choice. I'm gone overnight twice a week, so it's up to her.
My sister has been staying with us for the last couple of months while going through divorce. Being one of those people who is never warm, when she comes in my door, the first thing she does is go stand in front of the stove. I commented on that, and told her she's going to miss it. She's going to end up with the house, and now is seriously considering a stove. This is from the person who said no way, never again was she going to live with a wood stove. She watched my parents struggle with an old stove and wet wood for years, and said she can afford to pay for her heat. After being around a modern stove and a good wood supply, I think she's hooked. She kept the stove going when we were out of town for a few days, and she got along good with it. I might get to go stove shopping....

Reactions: Realstone
The stove's hot and the wife's a burnin. Isn't it supposed to be the other way around? ():ZZZ

Reactions: Eatonpcat
YOU DA MAN Jeremy! My thoughts exactly (i do need to keep a lil' oil for the Hot Water) because i have kids.... but if not for them id be showering in ice water before paying these freeeekin oil prices LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.