Alternative biomass- fruit pits

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Would you purchase fruit pits instead of wood pellets if it came at a steep discount

• Yes

• No

• Depends how big a discount

Results are only viewable after voting.
There are or were stoves that burned pits and corn. They effectively were a pellet stove with more adjustability.

Would you purchase fruit pits instead of wood pellets if it came at a steep discount?

I have burned a lot of different things in my USSC 6039 to include cherry pits while they put out decent heat they were very noisy going through the auger and burn dirty. Think a can full of rocks and shake it. Pellets and corn are still the best things I have tried.

Reactions: Washed-Up
I'm sure my PC45 would burn them. I heard of people burning cherry pits, olive pits, barley, wheat about anything that is dry and will burn. I've only burned corn and pellets.

Lindt Chocolate in southern NH used to sell the cocoa bean remains to a biomass plant in Portsmouth NH to burn. Not sure if they are still doing it. My guess is fruit pits would work better in large commercial pellet boilers.

If I had a stove that was rated multi-fuel then yes
I would burn nut shells, fruit pits or any other fuel it
could burn if the price was right.
There was a guy on this forum in years past that burnt
nothing but nutshells

I looked in to cherry pits since my USSC 6500 will burn them. From what I found the price was about the same as pellets and people who had done it said they were a lot dirtier.

Family Farm and Home have bagged cherry pits, $7.99 a bag. Haven't tried them yet. Talked to a fellow @ Menards while picking up a ton of pellets, he told me he adds a coffee can full of cherry pits to a hopper of pellets when it gets real cold. Ups his heat output he says.