Alternate power source

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tonyiiiafl

Nov 23, 2016
Cape Cod, MA
I have an Accentra insert. It gets windy here on Cape Cod, and for that reason I shut my stove down on those days. Has anyone connected/used an Uninterruptible Power Source, much like used on a computer? I was looking at a 1500W unit. would hope it would run teh stove to an orderly shutdown?

I use an APC Smart-UPS 750 on my stove which is enough for a complete shutdown. Depending on the year of your Accentra a modified sine wave UPS may initiate the automatic shutdown feature if your model is so equipped. You should check your owners manual.

I use AIMS 1250 Inverter/Charger, along with two 100ah Batteries. I want more than shutdown. I want to stay warm until power comes back. About 12 hours on 1/2 Fan speed, Manual setting. Harmon XXV

Reactions: Washed-Up
Make sure you buy a "Pure Sine Wave" UPS, like some of the models from Cyberpower.
A UPS like this will cost about $199. The Cyberpower model CP1500PFCLCD is a good choice. They will also sound a warning beeper that will alert you that the stove is running on back-up power.

I added a simple circuit to my stove that cuts off the auger motor if there is a power failure, while the UPS powers the combustion blower of the stove long enough so that any remaining pellets burn up in the burnpot, and no smoke can backdraft into the house.

See post#9 for details

Last edited: