Almost a house fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jackfre

Burning Hunk
Oct 3, 2011
N CA
We remodeled a few years ago and I tore down the old stone Fireplace & chimney. It Was about dead center in the place and the decision was made to open the floor plan. This fireplace was at least 100 yrs old and had a stone And masonry base. The attached photos show the sub-floor once the hearth was replaced. We never had on open fire in as there was an Encore to a Dura-liner flue. How many fireplace fires would have been necessary to reach the reduced kindling temp caused by repeated heating and cooling of the subfloor?

Attachments

• Almost a house fire
    E98643AA-70F6-47C4-9EDC-DB06D5E31D50.jpeg
    236.2 KB · Views: 339
  • Almost a house fire
    13757C62-9C67-4F72-B049-0E921E3B9723.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 356
Pyrolysis at work. Do you have any before pictures of the fireplace? Did the fireplace hearth extend over the subfloor?

Not what I would have expected to see under a “fireplace” for structure.

Almost a house fire
This is a very old place, at least by CA standards. It appears that the front of the firebox was just over that seam. Petrified wood in the stone work. There is a small dungeon below with a single 12x12 concrete column supporting.

Wow, wonder if they insulated it with newspaper. Amazing what people consciously do.

This is the type of stuff we see all the time. I know many give me crap about being anal on safety. But there is a good reason. Stuff like this is not at all uncommon.

Wow, wonder if they insulated it with newspaper. Amazing what people consciously do.

Insulation? The attic had been poorly insulated but there was zero insulation in the walls of the home when we purchased it. That of course would have led the previous owner/tenants to build some REAL fires. In the re-model I did find some newspaper from 1887 on the roof sheathing. There is a small dungeon below the fireplace that I threaten the grandkids with. It has a single 16" sq concrete column supporting the fireplace and chimney.

Insulation? The attic had been poorly insulated but there was zero insulation in the walls of the home when we purchased it. That of course would have led the previous owner/tenants to build some REAL fires. In the re-model I did find some newspaper from 1887 on the roof sheathing. There is a small dungeon below the fireplace that I threaten the grandkids with. It has a single 16" sq concrete column supporting the fireplace and chimney.
Our has something similar. Referred to as "the pit". Might have been for coal in the early days. Now it houses the hw heater and air handler.