All Nighter Condition - Is this ok?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

justintvd

Oct 19, 2017
New Jersey
Hey Hearth community,

I recently purchased a house and have not yet used the wood stove that came in the basement. I'm not entirely sure what the interior is supposed to look like - does this need work done to be safe? Or does it look ok as-is? (Obviously I need to take my junk off of it first.) Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 2019-11-15 20.30.08.jpg
    2019-11-15 20.30.08.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 226
  • 2019-11-15 20.31.03.jpg
    2019-11-15 20.31.03.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 192
  • 2019-11-15 20.31.13.jpg
    2019-11-15 20.31.13.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 198
Hey Hearth community,

I recently purchased a house and have not yet used the wood stove that came in the basement. I'm not entirely sure what the interior is supposed to look like - does this need work done to be safe? Or does it look ok as-is? (Obviously I need to take my junk off of it first.) Thanks for looking!
The stove itself is only a small part of the system. And possibly the least important when it comes to safety. Have you had the system inspected by a pro?

Not too bad condition but it needs a new door gasket.

The stove itself is only a small part of the system. And possibly the least important when it comes to safety. Have you had the system inspected by a pro?

Have not yet, wanted to throw up here first. The home inspector didn't have any concerns, but perhaps having someone else look will be my next step then.

Have not yet, wanted to throw up here first. The home inspector didn't have any concerns, but perhaps having someone else look will be my next step then.
Don't trust the home inspector to find any issues. Many of them are completely worthless. Have a chimney professional check it out

If you post some more pics showing the whole system we can give you an idea of potential problems but it is no substitute for an actual on site inspection

HI , that stove is a heat machine . So I would replace broken fire brick inside , door gasket . Looks like a through the roof chimney , kind of like the set up I had for my Little Moe . Look at weld seams for repairs ( probably none) 1/4" & 5/16 : boiler plate steel. Clean her up and if you can get a brush and run it through the pipe probably a cap on bottom of tee {back of stove ) all seems intact from the pic's
ML