All nighter Big Moe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Frank Baggett

Nov 17, 2020
Lake Milton Ohio
Thanks for the ad. I am the proud owner of a 1983 Big Moe All Nighter. I am looking to purchase a replacement part. The part is the piece of the stove that sits in the door opening right behind the door and prevents the smoke from escaping when the door is open. it causes the smoke to circle in the fire box. new or used would be fine.

Much quicker and easier fabricating your own parts for older stoves than expecting to find someone with a specific part. Steel plate is cheap and relatively easy to work with. If you’re not capable, any welding / fabricating shop should be able to make one if you take them the old part.

Did yours rust away or warp and not close? Making it from thicker plate prevents warpage.

The step top stove was designed to have the exhaust outlet higher than the top of door opening to prevent smoke roll in. When door is open, smoke can roll in at the top if draft isn’t sufficient. So a flap at the top lowers the door opening to prevent the smoke at top from rolling in. it literally lowers the door opening since the outlet can’t be raised. It swings out of the way for loading larger pieces.

Much quicker and easier fabricating your own parts for older stoves than expecting to find someone with a specific part. Steel plate is cheap and relatively easy to work with. If you’re not capable, any welding / fabricating shop should be able to make one if you take them the old part.

Did yours rust away or warp and not close? Making it from thicker plate prevents warpage.

The step top stove was designed to have the exhaust outlet higher than the top of door opening to prevent smoke roll in. When door is open, smoke can roll in at the top if draft isn’t sufficient. So a flap at the top lowers the door opening to prevent the smoke at top from rolling in. it literally lowers the door opening since the outlet can’t be raised. It swings out of the way for loading larger pieces.

I lost mine years ago in moving. I appreciate your response. I figured fabricating one may be the way to go. Any idea how much would you think the flap should cover the opening, 20 30 %, and thickness of plate? Thanks again for your response

I would measure from bottom of exhaust vent to firebox floor. Then figure 1 1/2 to 2 inches lower. Make sure it doesn't block any air intakes on the back of door. Height depends on your pipe configuration and chimney. The less draft, the lower it needs to be.
No idea of the original thickness. The plate on my Kitchen Queen is 1/8 inch.

If you open door slightly it will allow the fire to kick up increasing draft, then open slowly to avoid smoke roll in. You can open most stove doors quickly to induce a roll in. Any blockage or chimney issue will cause it as well. Back when these stoves were designed, they were used with larger existing masonry chimneys originally built for a fireplace. Draft was not near as good as an insulated flue the same size as the stove outlet, so safeguards were added to make sure they didn't smoke when hooked to a less desirable chimney.