Alcove install of PE Alderlea T5 and other stove questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dforster2

Mar 2, 2014
Oklahoma
I have read their install manual and they don't really specify whether or not it can be installed in an alcove. If I follow the minimum clearances is it ok to do this? The only thing I see that might restrict this is a 7' minimum ceiling clearance. So it would be a pretty tall alcove. What about installing a mantle above the T5? There is nothing about mantles in their install manual.

The other stove I'm considering is the Jotul F500 and it does have a clear explanation of alcove installation.

I like both stoves but I like the swing away warming sections on the T5. and I would like to be able to boil water for tea on it as well. Is the F500 suitable for this? I think I read somewhere that it is but it doesn't seem to be designed for cooking like the T5.

Thanks!

The T5 has alcove dimensions listed in the clearances. You will need to contact their tech support about adding a mantle, though I am not sure how that would be done with a 7.5' ceiling height requirement. What is the plan?
The side loading door on the F500 makes it less than ideal for alcove installations. The F45, 50 or 55 might be a better solution. Have you looked at the Quadrafire Explorer II and the catalytic Blaze King Ashford 30.1?

yeah I had to read their sidenote on alcove install twice. After reading the jotul instructions they were much more clear on alcoves, and it seems more alcove friendly other than the side door. They list top clearances as small as 15" with a protected surface. So I was expecting something similar with the T5.

I don't care much for the looks of the F55, but I do like the Explorer II. For some reason I missed that one. I'll check it out as well.

Thanks!

The T5 has alcove dimensions listed in the clearances. You will need to contact their tech support about adding a mantle, though I am not sure how that would be done with a 7.5' ceiling height requirement. What is the plan?
The side loading door on the F500 makes it less than ideal for alcove installations. The F45, 50 or 55 might be a better solution. Have you looked at the Quadrafire Explorer II and the catalytic Blaze King Ashford 30.1?

So it looks like the quadrafire explorer II clearances are about the same as the T5. I wonder why the Jotul is able to go down to 15" top clearance with a protected surface but the others don't specify that?? Does it just not get as hot on the top?

Jotul has been around for a long time with their cast iron stoves. Fireplace installations are more common with them, particularly in Europe. That is incentive for them to test for these parameters. The Alderlea has only been around for about 9 years. Fireplace and low alcove installs are not that common for then I suspect so they haven't done the expensive testing for this configuration. In theory it should work with a properly protected surface, but they would have to provide that blessing, in writing.

I have a T5 and I highly recommend it! Fantastic stove, puts out great heat, beautiful, well made, cook on it easily, glass stays very clean. Drafts very well also. Can't comment on Jotuls.....never owned one but got two Pacific Energy stoves and a Timberline. All my stoves are awesome....even the old Timberline!

Status
Not open for further replies.