Airflow of a wood insert...please explain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

vector1701

Hearth Supporter
So my Jotul 550 Rockland is scheduled to be installed next week and this site has offered tremendous information on a topic I freely admit to not know much about. Thanks to all the members for the valuable information. I do have a detail question on the airflow of a wood stove insert. Can someone explain the fow of the air, input and output, and when I change the airflow with the lever, I assume that air that is let into the firebox to burn the wood is then sent up the chimney...Is this the % of air that is considered "inefficient" coming from the inside of the house and subsequently sent up the flue?

Thanks!!

Im certainly no expert but all solid fuel stoves take air from the house(unless there is an outside supply pipe attached) and after it provides oxygen to the fire goes up the chimney.
Efficiency is loss of Heat ,not loss of air.or the difference between the flue gas temp and the room temp. The higher the flue gas temp the lower the efficiency because all the heat is not being extracted from the combustion process. My NG condensing furnace for example was 95% effecient ,the flue gas temp was about 120 deg. With my wood stove i need a higher flue temp to maintain a strong draft. Loss of air up the chimney is different from loss of heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.