Air Intake and Damper question for a wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

firebox115

Sep 5, 2019
USA
Newbie here. I am installing a wood stove insert with about 15' of 6" SS flex flue liner. I cut out the damper and will make a blockoff plate to seal around the liner. The firebox at one time had a gas fireplace installed and I am planning on using the hole in the firebox floor as an air intake. My question is should I have a way to control the amount of air flowing from the air intake, through the fireplace, and out the flue liner? The front of the insert (Pacific Energy) has a lever that says H, L. Will this be a decent setup for proper heating and draft? Thanks.

Read the section in the manual about outside air control. There is a plate to direct the stove to use the outside air. The air that gets into firebox of the stove is controlled by the air control on the stove.

I tracked down a manual and read about the plate. I noticed when the air control lever is completely closed, the hole is actually only about 3/4 closed. I'm assuming this is by design so you don't put out the fire by moving the lever too far. My concern is when the insert is not in use, warm air from inside the house will escape through here. Maybe i'm just overthinking it and it is inevitable that some heat will escape through small cracks here and there.

That is by design. The amount of air that would get by is tiny. Nothing worth worrying about.