Air inlet issue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Chucking Wood

Dec 3, 2015
SE MA
Hi all, I have a Jotul rockland 550 that I’ve used for 3 winters. Recently I’ve been noticing more smoke coming into room when opening and seems like less draft, and the air control having less effect (like it’s partially closed even when all the way open).

I cleaned out the inside, removed upper fire bricks and cleaned out up there and didn’t see anything amiss.

Wondering if anyone has any idea what’s going on? It’s been slowly worsening over last few burns in a variety of outside conditions, wood quality etc.

I’m suspecting it may have something to do with inlet air instead of overall draft since cracking the door a bit makes things clear right up.

Instead of the air inlet or the insert the more likely issue is with the flue. When was it last cleaned? Is there a cap with a screen in it?

Has the wood changed in the past few weeks? Poorly seasoned wood can contribute to these symptoms.

Get your binoculars out and look at the cap as stated. Also helps to turn air up to max for a minute before opening the door. Or unlatch the door but dont open it, and let the fire take off before opening.