Air flow management ..... I am learning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Wow. Learned a few things over the past few weeks of heating with wood and using different means of moving the air around the house.

If you have the patience to search our other posts about our learning and our struggles feel free but this is a short post about the movement of air in our home.

Our "primary heat" is a forced air electric furnace. We are heating 2800 square feet adding the main level and the basement together. Our basement is a ICF and concrete foundation and our main level is a squared cedar log home.

For whatever strange reason, I procrastinated on getting the diffusers installed on our basement ceiling mounted duct work and as a result we had a very warm basement a cool main level. Now we are seeing some balance to the heat with the installation of the diffusers which are the spin type which allow us to limit the air into the basement.

The other thing I discovered just this morning is the fan which I use to move air from behind the small wood stove was not moving much air.

In looking at it I noticed that dust was blocking the screen both front and back and the blades of the fan were coated with dust.

A quick cleaning and upon start up I notice and immediate difference in how much air movement is now occurring.

Now I am curious as to how much dust may be built up on the vanes/blades of our furnace fan. Not going to check it today as the home office has too much going on and several conference calls on the plate as well.

Do you have an air filter that can catch this dust so it doesn't collect on the fans?

Status
Not open for further replies.