Air Control for Hearthstone 1 Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ryan646

Oct 27, 2020
Cincinnati, OH
I purchased a home this spring with a older Hearthstone 1 Fireplace (freestanding stove) in the basement. When moved in I noticed that the stove did not have a seal on the front door so I installed one. I also couldn't find any air controls other than the internal damper(handle on the upper left). I recently lit my first fire and once a small fire was burning well I shut the side door and the fire went out. I went online and found a manual, which is for the Hearthstone 1 but I believe it is the correct manual. My stove says Hearthstone 1 Fireplace on the back. In the manual it says that the front door is not supposed to have a seal and that it, "is designed to receive combustion air into the firebox from around the edges of the front door." It also says, "the Hearthstone H-1 is a non-controlled combustion woodstove which operates in a manner similar to an open fireplace. In general, long slow burns are not possible with this stove."

That being said, I removed the front door seal and the stove burnt great. I filled it up before going to bed and then checked on it and it was burning extremely hot. I baby sat it for a bit until it burned down and then went to bed. Not sure how long it lasted but I would guess 3-4 hours. I don't like the idea of a non-controlled stove. I am considering installing a damper in the stove pipe coming out of the back of the stove. I also considered installing a partial seal in the front door but don't the idea of having to adjust this.

Any ideas on how to resolve these issues would be appreciated. pictures of the stove are attached.

Attachments

• Air Control for Hearthstone 1 Fireplace
    IMG_1772.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 187
  • Air Control for Hearthstone 1 Fireplace
    IMG_1774.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 350
This H1 has a thermostatic damper on the air control at the left rear of the stove, but this does not look like an H1 which has double-doors.

I dug deeper and found the manual for the H-1 fireplace stove. It looks like they eliminated the rear thermostat and instead substituted a damper. The manual control for this stove is located just above the right-hand corner of the side door. Rotate the handle clockwise to open the air damper. Close the damper after about 15 minutes when the fire is burning robustly. You are correct, the manual says that the front door does not have a gasket, but the side door does. A key damper could be put in the short connector to the tee.

Does the stove have a single secondary air tube running low, in the back of the firebox?
Does the stove have a plate covering the primary air location at the back, bottom left side?

Last edited:
It burns extremely hot even with the internal damper closed. When it is closed they are still decent size gaps on each side.
The gaps may be intentional. It would be very unsafe if it didn't allow some flue gases to pass.
Please reread my first post which was amended after reviewing the manual.

I looked over the stove pretty well and did not see any secondary air tube or plate covering the primary air. Just saw your note in the key damper. I was planning on installing that tonight. I just want sone way to shut it down or slow it down I case I have any issues. The stove drafts very well. I can hear the air sucking in around the door. I am hoping by restricting the airflow into the chimney I can slow what I’d getting pulled in. Thanks for your help.