Air circulation from upstairs to down

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Warrenc123

Jun 30, 2018
Becket Massachusetts
Hello folks. I am trying to warm up my basement with my dutchwest food stove that is in the living room. I have done some research and please see attached pictures for a better understanding of what I'm purposing. I am thinking about cutting a vent into the spare bedroom and running 6 in duct all the way to the floor below which is in the utility room and using a inline fan to suck cold air from basement floor and push it into the main level hopefully causing the heat to move down the stairwell and into the basement.

I have a ceiling fan in the stairwell that could give a boost if needed. But I have tried almost everything else between doorway fans and small box fans and small table top fans in all different areas of the house. I was also thinking if this didn't work if I cut a register in near the hearth and that would be above the finished portion of the basement I could box the register and pipe in below and run the register down to the floor. Does anyone have any insight on this
Air circulation from upstairs to downAir circulation from upstairs to down

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately what you are trying to accomplish with a stand alone wood stove is difficult to do effectively. It is hard (next to impossible) to make warm air move downstairs, especially around a corner as is in your layout. A Zero Clearance FP with a remote heat dump is much more effective because the duct is directly connected to the fireplace cabinet and the remote fan is pulling the hot air downstairs (this is what I have).
As for your second idea of a register cut around the hearth, would you try to pull warm air down , or draw cold air up? either way I don't think it will work.

I was thinking of cutting in both registers having the one in the spare bedroom push air up and that would in theory create a negative pressure in the basement and cause warm air to move down stairs through the stair well I'll attach pictures of the interior and if that doesn't work I would cut in register by the stove would o be better off to just use both registers on either side to move air down?

Air circulation from upstairs to down Air circulation from upstairs to down Air circulation from upstairs to down Air circulation from upstairs to down Air circulation from upstairs to down Air circulation from upstairs to down

Last edited by a moderator:
You might move more warm air down if you could put the registers up high in the stove room with ducting down to the basement and have an inline fan in the downstairs register pulling the warm air down that way. By having the registers on the floor upstairs , you would be trying to pull down the coldest air from upstairs which may not be as effective.

Reactions: Ludlow
You might move more warm air down if you could put the registers up high in the stove room with ducting down to the basement and have an inline fan in the downstairs register pulling the warm air down that way. By having the registers on the floor upstairs , you would be trying to pull down the coldest air from upstairs which may not be as effective.

What I was thinking. He would need to position the ducts high on the wall in the stove room and near the floor in the basement to have any chance at all of moving warm air down.

It's not going to happen without scavenging the heat at the top of the ceiling and blowing it down in an insulated duct. Even that may not be enough heat to keep the basement comfortable. Warm air is lighter and is going to want to rise.

I'm gonna check the floor temp when I get home

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Good idea, and compare it to the celling temp. Then you'll have to calculate what the heat loss will be for the length of ducting run
It seems too hold at 57 or 58 id be happy with 65.

Even with my remote duct directly connected to the ZC blowing full it will struggle to keep it above 65 on the colder days. Mind you I have a walk out basement with the outside facing wall made up of windows and doors.

short of re-doing your stonework behind the stove and pulling it down from there I don't see any easy way of doing it.

You could add another stove in the basement or electric baseboard heat those would be your best options.

If you remodeled your stonework you could add venting above the stove, pull it through the wall cavity with a fan in the basement and blow it into the rooms with ducts. That will be your only real option.

short of re-doing your stonework behind the stove and pulling it down from there I don't see any easy way of doing it.

You could add another stove in the basement or electric baseboard heat those would be your best options.

If you remodeled your stonework you could add venting above the stove, pull it through the wall cavity with a fan in the basement and blow it into the rooms with ducts. That will be your only real option.
Dam I wish I thought of that when I put it in 5 months ago. I wish it was a option but that stuff is 10 bucks a square foot

Warm air rises and cold air sinks, nothing is going to change that except forced ventilation and ducting. Maybe add a small stove to the basement or another type of heater. A space heater is probably a lot cheaper than major ventilation work.

I already have 2 zones in the basement. Just trying to not burn propane. And I'm getting a floor temp of 72 upstairs in the spare room

Dam I wish I thought of that when I put it in 5 months ago. I wish it was a option but that stuff is 10 bucks a square foot

You have a cavity behind the stonework? It looks offset from the wall. Add a pellet stove in the basement?

It's off the wall a inch per code. And I have one down there but just really wanted to stick with wood

It's off the wall a inch per code. And I have one down there but just really wanted to stick with wood

Did you just use a 2x4 on its side? Any horizontal pieces across or is it hollow from top to bottom? Would you be able to pull through that 1" cavity? I'm thinking that is going to be the only way you're going to be able to do it. how warm does that stonework get? It's going to need to get pretty warm to make it worth pulling through and the heat towards the ceiling needs to be pretty substantial. You'll need a duct blower on a rheostat switch, and duct work of some sort to distribute the heat.

Insulate the basement, concrete walls and the slab. I'm not sure if that will get you to 65F, but it will raise the temp into the 60s down there.

Trying to push the air down there is probably going to be a lot of work for nothing. At least I would rig something up quick and cheap to prove the concept before I was framing out and drywalling ductwork.

Reactions: Chas0218
Did you just use a 2x4 on its side? Any horizontal pieces across or is it hollow from top to bottom? Would you be able to pull through that 1" cavity? I'm thinking that is going to be the only way you're going to be able to do it. how warm does that stonework get? It's going to need to get pretty warm to make it worth pulling through and the heat towards the ceiling needs to be pretty substantial. You'll need a duct blower on a rheostat switch, and duct work of some sort to distribute the heat.
I am not able to pull through the cavity and I used 1" emt pipe metal spacers into the studs

Insulate the basement, concrete walls and the slab. I'm not sure if that will get you to 65F, but it will raise the temp into the 60s down there.

Trying to push the air down there is probably going to be a lot of work for nothing. At least I would rig something up quick and cheap to prove the concept before I was framing out and drywalling ductwork.
It is insulated and finished