agitator not turning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gkominos

Nov 14, 2014
vermont
OK, just got done cleaning my Regency Hampton GC60 pellet stove like I do every week and I noticed that the burn pot liner had an unusual amount of hard ash build up in it. I had to bang it with the metal scrapping tool to get it out. I had a hard time getting the agitator out because of this. I finally got it out, finished the cleaning, fired up the stove and checked to see if the agitator was turning after the stove went through its start up cycle and it was not. This explains the hard ash build up. Has anyone else experienced this and know what causes the agitator to stop turning?

First off, don't bang the pot. Soak it for a few hours in warm water and the carbon will flake right off. I suggest obtaining a second pot and soaking one while using one. Makes it a lot easier.

If the agitator isn't turning, it could be a control board setting or a blown fuse on the control board but if you had a heavy buildup of carbon, I bet the motor locked up and/or the reduction geartrain is shot. You need to pull the motor/gearbox and have a look-see. If you can turn the output shaft coupler by hand easily, the geartrain is stripped and you'll need a replacement motor/geartrain which, you can find online for less than a hundred bucks. While you have the motor out, clean it up and pull the outboard bearing cap and oil the bearing. Pull the armature and pump some grease into the hole in the geartrain too (so long as it isn't stripped).

Never let the carbon build up where it impedes the agitator, thats asking for failure. I'm sure you could hear the agitator as it ran over the carbon buildup. It's not soundless as it scrapes over the deposits.

Status
Not open for further replies.