Afton Bay #2 light and house filled with smoke

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

cristiansmom

Hearth Supporter
Jul 17, 2008
Rhode Island
My Afton Bay is 12 years old or so. Today we lit the stove and all was well. I went outside for a few minutes and came in to a house filled with smoke!!!! The #2 light was blinking and stove off. I thought that this shouldn't happen doesn't Afton Bay have emergency setting so if it senses a problem it shuts down proper? I am pretty upset about my house filling with smoke. Stove is cleaned. I had door gasket on hand to change out ( never been changed) so I did that hoping that's the blinking #2 issue but why would my house fill with smoke????

Below is from your manual, If the stove shuts down and there is a burn in the fire box under the right conditions with certain arrangements of vent systems, I could see smouldering smoke leak into the house if the exhaust blower shuts down. I also see your stove will reset all of its auger trims and settings if unplugged or you have a power failure which depending on many variables could trip a shut down. try again and watch it to see what happens.

"My Stove isn’t burning and the number 2 LED light is blinking. This diagnostic light indicates the vacuum switch no longer senses negative pressure in the firebox area of the Stove. What caused the Stove to go out?"
  1. a. The door of the unit was left open longer than 60 seconds. (See solution) b. The ash pan door was left open for longer than 60 seconds. (See solution) c. The combustion fan is not running. (Defective fan or control board)
    d. The vacuum switch is defective.
    e. The vacuum hose is disconnected
    f. The vent system is plugged with fly-ash.
    Solution: If the fire is out, re-light the Stove. If the fire is still burning make sure all doors are securely latched and hold down the On/Off button (approximately 5 seconds) until Stove starts up again. This will re-start the Stove in the start-up program.

Reactions: heat seeker