After Inspection I need new Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Had my wood insert cleaned / inspected today and I was told not to use it anymore as per pictures attached. It's a Regency model 3100L installed in October 2000 and been used heavily every winter since. Very happy with it but I guess it's time for a new one. I was also told the liner also needs to be replaced.

I used to have cleaned the FP every year but in the last 3-4 years I didn't since I could not find anyone but this time I found this company. Before they all used to go at the top and push the brush down the chimney etc. but this time the guy went from inside and used some kind of a drill with extensions attached to it to do the cleaning (cost me CAD$190.00). Is this an appropriate way to do the cleaning?

I see 2 cracks on the picture and I wonder if it's worth it to try to repair the welds. (don't even know if it's possible).

Many thanks

[Hearth.com] After Inspection I need new Fireplace

[Hearth.com] After Inspection I need new Fireplace

Had my wood insert cleaned / inspected today and I was told not to use it anymore as per pictures attached. It's a Regency model 3100L installed in October 2000 and been used heavily every winter since. Very happy with it but I guess it's time for a new one. I was also told the liner also needs to be replaced.

I used to have cleaned the FP every year but in the last 3-4 years I didn't since I could not find anyone but this time I found this company. Before they all used to go at the top and push the brush down the chimney etc. but this time the guy went from inside and used some kind of a drill with extensions attached to it to do the cleaning (cost me CAD$190.00). Is this an appropriate way to do the cleaning?

I see 2 cracks on the picture and I wonder if it's worth it to try to repair the welds. (don't even know if it's possible).

Many thanks

View attachment 330849

View attachment 330850
Did you have the stove installed? And is the ul tag behind the blower still intact? If so it's covered under warranty. The downside is that they don't have the 3100 anymore or anything all that comparable

It is not a stove but a wooden insert fireplace and it was installed by the store I bought it from 25 years ago. I don't think that there is any warranty involved after 25 yrs
Yes an insert is still a stove. And yes regencies lifetime warranty on.the firebox is still in effect. If you had the sales receipt it would make the process much easier.

I have all receipts involved + the form I completed in Nov-20-2000 to register my unit. Is this life warranty applicable in USA only?
I don't think so. But not being from Canada i can't be sure. But I would be surprised if a Canadian stove didn't have the same warranty in Canada as the states

I found the store I bought it before, they have moved but I will contact them tomorrow and find out what happens. I think Regency is a Canadian company
Yes they are

Very happy, back in 2000 I paid CAD$2800 installed, now most likely is close to $5000. In any case last week I got 8 cords of firewood and I don't think I can have a new FP before Christmas! In any case I'm happy to discover my FP is not good anymore.

Very happy, back in 2000 I paid CAD$2800 installed, now most likely is close to $5000. In any case last week I got 8 cords of firewood and I don't think I can have a new FP before Christmas! In any case I'm happy to discover my FP is not good anymore.
BTW you can still use it in that condition as long as there are no other cracks we aren't seeing.

Good result. What did they say was wrong with the liner itself?

BTW sweeping from inside the house up the chimney is better?

He wrote in the invoice "do not use the FP" so for insurance purposes I will not like to take the chance. I already send an email where I bought the FP so I should know soon what they say.

The attached file shows the liner but I don't understand what it means. All I know he went up the roof after he finished the job inside the house and he told me the liner is in bad shape too. In any case makes no sense to keep 24 years old liner with a new FP.

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] After Inspection I need new Fireplace
    3 20241016_122552.webp
    122.4 KB · Views: 9
BTW sweeping from inside the house up the chimney is better?

He wrote in the invoice "do not use the FP" so for insurance purposes I will not like to take the chance. I already send an email where I bought the FP so I should know soon what they say.

The attached file shows the liner but I don't understand what it means. All I know he went up the roof after he finished the job inside the house and he told me the liner is in bad shape too. In any case makes no sense to keep 24 years old liner with a new FP.
Yeah I forgot the liner was bad as well. Don't use it. And yes I think sweeping from inside is better

Finally got in touch with the store I bought the FP, asked me to send the docs I have + inspection pictures and reply that now they are preparing to send the warranty claim to Regency. All this was done by email and I assume they will do the same to Regency. Anyone has an experience what Regency will do and how long it takes?

Reactions: stoveliker