Affordable side-loading wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Jake G

Sep 6, 2021
Minnesota, United States
Hi, I'm looking for a very basic side-loading (or front and side loading) wood stove with a front window, suitable for heating a 1200 square foot cabin in Minnesota. I'd like to spend under $2,000. This will primarily be a backup/emergency heating system. Know of any brands that might fit those requirements? I've tried Googling, but it's a bit overwhelming. Thanks, Jake

I can't name any new stoves that fit those qualifications. I would recommend skipping the side load and going for a square firebox instead. This will allow N/S and E/W loading. Look at the True North TN20 and Englander 15-W03 to start with.

Vermont Casting Intrepid list $2469, Woodstock Absolute Steel $2790. Both qualify for 26% rebate. End cost about your limit.

As long as you can load straight in instead of chucking wood sideways, the side door is not usually important.

I agree with above, side loading is not very important. If I were picking an option other then loading front would be loading top..A top loading stove will rarely have you on your knees. Youll just be able to just insert the wood into the stove standing. There's no real difference between front and side loading stoves.

What I like about side loading, and issues I've seen with a wide front loading stoves, My Oslo has an ash spilling issue when you open the front door. Open the front door of a east / west, full loaded stove and have splits roll out. You will become a side loader. Side loading a wide stove is much safer. The side loading requires a loading technique. If my wife can do it anyone can do it.

Reactions: stufus
I have an Oslo as well and much prefer to add logs through the side door. I set the stove up from the front but feel much safer adding wood through the side when theres a fire in the stove. The side door also makes it easier to get the birds out that we get every spring.

Reactions: stufus
What I like about side loading, and issues I've seen with a wide front loading stoves, My Oslo has an ash spilling issue when you open the front door. Open the front door of a east / west, full loaded stove and have splits roll out. You will become a side loader. Side loading a wide stove is much safer. The side loading requires a loading technique. If my wife can do it anyone can do it.
Yes but that is really only an issue with a few stoves. None I have had had that issue and they were all front loaders. I always load north south.

I loved the side loading on my old FA - but this was before I experienced a more or less squarish stove allowing to load NS.
Nothing wrong with side loading, but get a stove with a decent sized squarish box and you can do both.

I would prefer a side loader too, but I'm working with a corner hearth, so it isn't a practical option. There's something about the aesthetics of them that I really love. Someday.

This is why I prefer a square firebox. It eliminates the need for the side load and is much more flexible. The stove an be loaded fuller with no worry of wood rolling up against the glass.