Advice on wood stove plus gas furnace household arrangement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

hopkinsian

Oct 14, 2024
Fort Collins, Colorado
Our Vermont Castings Defiant Encore is on the main level of the house. It heats reasonably well, but like many wood stoves, doesn't really reach into the bedrooms, or the finished basement. (At least that's my experience. We also have some drafty windows and old insulation.) So we have supplemented with a gas furnace.

The old furnace finally went kaput. I could just buy a new one, but do you all recommend any creative options here? I'm shooting for a solution that is relatively inexpensive and relies a bit more on the wood stove we have. Seems a shame to not be able to use it more (I can get wood, and I have two teenage boys for splitting), but I really can't get the heat to circulate through the house very well.

Thanks for any tips!

Ed

This is a common question. The best first step is to seal up drafty windows and bolster insulation where needed. There are dozens of past threads on the topic. The best solution depends on the floorplan of the house. A ranch needs a different solution from a colonial. If a sketch can be posted, that would be helpful.