Advice on The Olympic Fireplace Insert by Washington Stove Works

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Walt_CA

Aug 25, 2024
California
First time poster and first time wood stove owner. My new home came with an Olympic wood stove and I intend to hire a professional to inspect the unit and chimney but I wanted to first learn as much as I can. Based on research and my own visual inspection I believe I have a “slammer” insert and I think it would be best it add steel chimney liner. That said, I am concerned I cannot use a boot adapter as it would get in the way of the flue controller. It would appear the boot adapter needs to sit flush on the insert which would then not allow me to open and close the flue. I am guessing it is an old inefficient unit but give it is not my primary heat source and I don’t intend to replace it any time soon. I would like to use it but only if it is safe and somewhat efficient.

First question, is there a way to add a liner without impacting the flue controller?

Second question, would it make sense to remove the flue controller completely and add the boot adapter? This would mean I can open and close the flue.

Third question, can I use it without a liner and after getting the unit/chimney inspected and cleaned.

Final question, what are the controls on the front of the unit? There are two on the left and right hand side of the stove and then move from side to side with an “O” and “C” of each control arm. I assume they mean open and closed.

Please note the first photo is of the actual stove, the next two are pictures are of the same model for sale online.

Thanks for your help and advice.

-Walt

Advice on The Olympic Fireplace Insert by Washington Stove Works Advice on The Olympic Fireplace Insert by Washington Stove Works Advice on The Olympic Fireplace Insert by Washington Stove Works