Advice on small stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

tel10

Hearth Supporter
Sep 28, 2009
VA
Hi Folks, I am looking for some advice for heating an "about to be finished" walkout basement. The total area in about 800 square feet. I currently run a Woostock Fireview in the main part of my house and we love it, but we can't afford to spend that much now...I am looking for a basic, efficient wood burning stove (doesn't have to be decorative) and was hoping to get some good advice on suggeted models folks have had success with.

Thanks!

Summer's Heat NC-13 from Lowes on sale for 729 is what I'd go with.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=8492-76845-50-SNC13LC&lpage=none

[Hearth.com] Advice on small stove

Visit your local Lowe's and take a look at the Virginia built Summers Heat 50-SNC13LC. Also know as the Englander 13-NC. They have them on sale here for $729. After the tax credit that would come to $511.

Edit: Looks like me and Pen were typing at the same time.

BrotherBart said:
Visit your local Lowe's and take a look at the Virginia built Summers Heat 50-SNC13LC. Also know as the Englander 13-NC. They have them on sale here for $729. After the tax credit that would come to $511.

Edit: Looks like me and Pen were typing at the same time.

It really is hard to beat that deal. I see used fishers from the 70's going for that much on ebay! :roll:

pen

Thanks for the advice folks! Anyone else have any other thoughts, I'm all ears (so to speak)...

any thoughts also on the best place to buy stove pipe? I will need to run it through the wall and up the side of the house.

BrotherBart said:

Even better, buy a 10%-off coupon online, $729 -10% = $656. After the tax credit that would come to $459.

And welcome to the forum tel10.

Thanks for the responses...one other quick one: does anyone feel strongly that I will regret not biting the bullet and going cast iron? Are the cast irons really that much more efficient?

tel10 said:
Are the cast irons really that much more efficient?

Cast iron is NO more efficient than any other EPA stove. They are just made from different material, with a little different heating characteristics. (one advantage is they (steel) heat up a little faster, but also cool a little faster than cast)

Cast iron is evil.

BB - Steel stove lover. :coolgrin:

Cast iron = higher cost, but not necessarily a better heater.

I'm not going to get into the religious debate on cast iron vs. plate steel, but I do want to chime in and say that the Englander 13 is a great little heater. I've got it's big brother, the 30-NC, and I have been nothing but totally happy with it. That 13 is definitely worth a look.

-SF

I have a 13 in the Garage, that for a small space is ideal. We dont run it much maybe on weekends when we are home. Might have run two face cords thru it. Good little heater and the price is right

Jags said:
Plate steel is for snow plows.
Cast Iron is for wood stoves. :coolsmirk:

Ooooo, Jags! Good one! :)

Shari

Shari said:
Jags said:

Ooooo, Jags! Good one! :)

Shari

I'm just prepping for the annual "Stove Material Smack Down" that is sure to surface soon. :lol:

Jags said:

Cast iron for manifolds on grandma's car. Steel for high performance headers on mine. :cheese:

cast iron is best reserved for freaky garden gnomes with crossed eyes, plate steel is for high quality fabrication!

:coolsmirk:

[Hearth.com] Advice on small stove

Plate steel is for those that weld with a caulk gun
Cast Iron is for those that can take the heat.

WHAT UP! You soap stone snobs too skeered??

Sorry for the hijack folks. :red:

Cast iron is for holding pieces of soapstone together.
Steel is for those plates they use to cover up holes in streets after they've dug a hole.
Soapstone is for hours of wonderful, comfortable warmth!

Back atcha! ;-)

Caulk one up for Wendell.

tel10 said:
Thanks for the responses...one other quick one: does anyone feel strongly that I will regret not biting the bullet and going cast iron? Are the cast irons really that much more efficient?

If I was looking for a good quality stove at a more inexpensive price point and wanted great customer service there would be one hands-down winner: the Englander/Summer Heat line.

And while I love cast iron and soapstone, I have to say I think steel stoves can look pretty sharp as well -- of course there are some makes and models that I like the looks of and some that I don't particularly care for the looks.

I don't think steel stoves are any more efficient than soapstone or cast iron . . . just they heat up a bit differently . . . from what I've heard from folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.