Advice on selecting a stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Matt k

Dec 13, 2020
Oklahoma
New to the forum and the closest thing to experience with a woodburning stove I have is running a woodburning fireplace in my home for 15 years or so. All advice is welcome.

I have a 60x48 metal shop with eave vents and ridge vents. On one end I have a 16' wide loft that spans the 48' width. The floor space under that loft is covered by an 8' ceiling. I am looking at installing a wood burning stove to provide some heat, primarily for the floor space at that end of the shop.

My budget for the stove is $1,000-$2,000.

Please advise on brands, size, and any other factors I don't know enough about to ask the right questions.

Thanks!

Concrete floor under the loft? How long is the area? Is it open are to the rest of the shop or closed off? Maybe a pic or two would help here also.

Englander 32-NC or Drolet Austral III. Consider dropping a tarp or plastic sheeting from the edge of the loft to contain the heat in the under the loft area. It can be rolled up or removed when winter is over.

Concrete floor under the loft? How long is the area? Is it open are to the rest of the shop or closed off? Maybe a pic or two would help here also.
Yes on concrete. The area is 48'x 16'. it takes up one end of a 48'x64' shop. the area has an 8' ceiling due to the loft I have constructed. It is open to the rest of the shop which has a 12'+ ceiling. I am not trying to make the whole shop toasty, just want to take the chill out of the air in the end of the barn under the loft.

In the image labeled 1541 you can see the work area under the loft. Thinking of positioning the stove either where the shelves in the cent of the picture are or to the left near the wall where you see a mini fridge and milk crate.

1542 is taken from the position of the other photo and shows the other end of the area i want to warm up.

Attachments

• Advice on selecting a stove
    IMG_1542.jpg
    212.1 KB · Views: 102
  • Advice on selecting a stove
    IMG_1541.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 108
Englander 32-NC or Drolet Austral III. Consider dropping a tarp or plastic sheeting from the edge of the loft to contain the heat in the under the loft area. It can be rolled up or removed when winter is over.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding trapping the heat better. I don't want to go that direction unless I have to. Trying to develop into more of a multi-use area that the family spends time in. I just don't know enough about the capabilities of these stoves to have a good grasp of whether I can take the chill out of the lower-ceilinged area without enclosing it.

I appreciate what you are saying regarding trapping the heat better. I don't want to go that direction unless I have to. Trying to develop into more of a multi-use area that the family spends time in. I just don't know enough about the capabilities of these stoves to have a good grasp of whether I can take the chill out of the lower-ceilinged area without enclosing it.
To heat the whole building you are talking furnace territory, especially when it is very cold out. This will be especially true if the space is just used occaisionally. It takes a lot of heat to move a cold space up from 20 to 60º. It takes time too. That's why I suggested temporarily enclosing the space with a hanging tarp or plastic curtain with an overlap that you can part to walk through. If this is just an evening space then maybe consider a gas or oil furnace.

To heat the whole building you are talking furnace territory, especially when it is very cold out. This will be especially true if the space is just used occaisionally. It takes a lot of heat to move a cold space up from 20 to 60º. It takes time too. That's why I suggested temporarily enclosing the space with a hanging tarp or plastic curtain with an overlap that you can part to walk through. If this is just an evening space then maybe consider a gas or oil furnace.
Thank you

One thing to also consider is the temperate climate zone. Doesn't appear to be any really hard core cold to fend off. Are the walls insulated? Looking to potentially use AC in the summer month's also to stretch out the comfort time? Family time in that enviro. sounds like a great idea.

One thing to also consider is the temperate climate zone. Doesn't appear to be any really hard core cold to fend off. Are the walls insulated? Looking to potentially use AC in the summer month's also to stretch out the comfort time? Family time in that enviro. sounds like a great idea.
Insulated walls but no plans to install AC. Just using windows and fans.

Doesn't appear to be any really hard core cold to fend off.
When an arctic express descends over the middle of the country, there is nothing between OK and CA. It can get very cold there with high winds too. They may have shorter winters, but it can get very cold sometimes. That's why I like the idea of a temporary curtain for those periods when needed. But an alternative is to just wait a week for the weather to warm up.

Reactions: jmb6420
When an arctic express descends over the middle of the country, there is nothing between OK and CA. It can get very cold there with high winds too. They may have shorter winters, but it can get very cold sometimes. That's why I like the idea of a temporary curtain for those periods when needed. But an alternative is to just wait a week for the weather to warm up.

The curtain is a great idea and is seen here in numerous local shops.

Looks like 50F/30F is relatively average winter weather @Matt k lives with? A pal of mine from home (HT2000 owner) work's from Dodge City Ks. south into Tx. installing concrete batch plants 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off in the winter. He cover's that area and love's the weather compared to home. I get to hear about it regularly. Granted, Ok. gets a miserable winter stretch occasionally.