Advice Needed: Walling Around Fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Peter7309

May 20, 2024
New York
I am in need of advice on a project. I am installing a wood insert into this fireplace. I plan on adding another layer of brick to the hearth so that it is raised proper and I also plan to extend the hearth out so it meets code. When completed, I will need to find the best way to take care of sealing up the large gap above the brick and the two small gaps on either side of the brick.

Here is my goal: I would like to install brick veneer on the entirety of this interior wall. I would like the brick veneer to continue over the existing brick so I can have the same pattern. I am also open to changing the direction of the veneer so it creates a visual border between the existing brick and the new brick veneer.

Here is my problem: (A) I am unsure the best way to go about continuing the veneer so it can transition into the existing brick fireplace nicely. (B) I do not know the best way to go about sealing up the large gap above the fireplace and the two small gaps on either side.

Here are some questions of mine:
1.) How would you go about accomplishing this project?
2.) What is the best way to fill in the large gap above the fireplace? Another layer of brick? More drywall?
2.) (A) Is there a product, something like joint compound, that I could use to put over the brick entirely and onto the wall so it becomes flush with the wall so I can adhere the brick veneer level? Could I put this product all the way to the fireplace opening or will I need to provide space for safety? or (B) Is there a product, something like caulk, that I can use to seal the two small gaps on either side?
3.) Anything else that jumps out when looking at this picture or my comments. Feedback is much appreciated.

Advice Needed: Walling Around Fireplace