advice for a newbie- new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

bearbay

Oct 24, 2024
garden bay, bc
hi there,

we are planning to have a wood stove installed in our new home in garden bay, bc (mild west coast climate) and hope to get some advice to guide our decisions.

the area the stove would be installed in is open (living, dining, kitchen) and about 900-1000sf. The ceilings will go from 8.5ft to 12ft. (image attached)

the house should be well insulated. we are planning on having ceiling fans.
we hope to have a heat pump for heating and cooling.
the stove would be for back-up heating and ambiance.
we are looking for a smaller, simple, modern looking wood burner. under consideration:
MF Fire Nova (1.7cf/50,000BTU)
Ambiance Hipster 14 (1.54cf/40,000BTU)
Supreme Novo 18 (1.7cf/60,000BTU)

any experience with these stoves and advice would be most welcome!

Attachments

• [Hearth.com] advice for a newbie- new wood stove
    Screenshot 2024-10-24 at 11.40.15 AM.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 9
the the nova line has had mixed reviews. And has a catalyst. Same goes for the hipster (maybe slightly more positive)

Not much info on the supreme line.

Id recommend looking at the Pacific energy Neo, Osborn matrix and inspire (these are bigger than you might want/need) and a blaze king boxer.

For your list I’d chose the hipster and I’d choose the Neo over that as it’s a non catalytic stove.

As said before get a moisture meter and stack wood minimum of two summers.

the the nova line has had mixed reviews. And has a catalyst. Same goes for the hipster (maybe slightly more positive)

Not much info on the supreme line.

Id recommend looking at the Pacific energy Neo, Osborn matrix and inspire (these are bigger than you might want/need) and a blaze king boxer.

For your list I’d chose the hipster and I’d choose the Neo over that as it’s a non catalytic stove.

As said before get a moisture meter and stack wood minimum of two summers.
thank you for the suggestions and your view on the listed stoves. i will look at those other options. what is it about the hipster that makes it more attractive (for me, it would be the cast iron). and what is it about catalytic stoves that makes you advise against them?

thank you for the suggestions and your view on the listed stoves. i will look at those other options. what is it about the hipster that makes it more attractive (for me, it would be the cast iron). and what is it about catalytic stoves that makes you advise against them?
A catalytic stove is not as simple as a secondary stove. I’m not against them but you stated you wanted simple. It’s two extra steps and another temp to pay attention too.

My recommendations are based on what I’ve read. The Hipster i believe is based on the GM40. There were some complaints of draft issues on it. The MF Nova series (1 and 2 I’m lumping together) have more complaints of smoke role out and it’s a single burn rate stove.

Your homework, read up on catalytic stoves (then if you like the boxer why/how blaze kings are different) and single burn rate stoves.

Catalytic combustors aren't cheap, and you might have to replace them every few years, depending how much you use the stove. OTOH, catalytic stoves as a rule can burn at lower output, which might be useful in a mild climate. OTOOH, if your house is well-sealed, you can burn a small load in a secondary-burn stove and the heat will be retained well.
I have a couple of cat stoves, and I may also pick up a secondary stove to try out. I have only wood heat, so I need a backup stove.

A catalytic stove is not as simple as a secondary stove. I’m not against them but you stated you wanted simple. It’s two extra steps and another temp to pay attention too.

My recommendations are based on what I’ve read. The Hipster i believe is based on the GM40. There were some complaints of draft issues on it. The MF Nova series (1 and 2 I’m lumping together) have more complaints of smoke role out and it’s a single burn rate stove.

Your homework, read up on catalytic stoves (then if you like the boxer why/how blaze kings are different) and single burn rate stoves.
thanks again for your thoughtful response. i never liked homework, but will do some!

Catalytic combustors aren't cheap, and you might have to replace them every few years, depending how much you use the stove. OTOH, catalytic stoves as a rule can burn at lower output, which might be useful in a mild climate. OTOOH, if your house is well-sealed, you can burn a small load in a secondary-burn stove and the heat will be retained well.
I have a couple of cat stoves, and I may also pick up a secondary stove to try out. I have only wood heat, so I need a backup stove.
thanks. that's a lot of hands to keep track of, but all your points are noted and appreciated!

The Ambiance is also a cat stove. Of the 3 the Supreme Novo is the simplest design to maintain.

Pacific Energy are probably the simplest stoves you could buy, from my limited experience..

Reactions: GG Woody
Thank you, I will look at those again. I should have clarified that by “simple”, I was referring more to the design than the operation (though that would be important too). Design, of course, is subjective. 🙏
I would look hard at the Pacific Energy Neo 1.6. You don't need anything larger for your space. I have found my Pacific Energy Super 27 to be a worry free stove after 7 years of operation similar to what you are anticipating. The Neo loads east west, but probably all of these smaller stoves do. If you are planning on outside combustion air supply, I'm not sure how that affects the look of the Neo. Maybe someone who has a Neo with outside air could show a picture of how it looks?

by “simple”, I was referring more to the design
Very simple in that regard. Not many moving parts, in the Super box that I'm familiar with anyway. The parts list is less than half as long as comparable stoves from other makers.

I would look hard at the Pacific Energy Neo 1.6. You don't need anything larger for your space. I have found my Pacific Energy Super 27 to be a worry free stove after 7 years of operation similar to what you are anticipating. The Neo loads east west, but probably all of these smaller stoves do. If you are planning on outside combustion air supply, I'm not sure how that affects the look of the Neo. Maybe someone who has a Neo with outside air could show a picture of how it looks?
Thanks. Can’t say I like the look of the neo, but I appreciate the comment about size and being worry-free. Don’t want something too big.

Very simple in that regard. Not many moving parts, in the Super box that I'm familiar with anyway. The parts list is less than half as long as comparable stoves from other makers.
That’s a great idea, to look at the parts list. But by simple design, I meant more the aesthetic. Beauty of course, is in the eye of the beholder.

To me the neo looks simple; no frills, straight to the point.

If that's not what you like, can you better describe what you mean by simple?

The GM 40

Or hipster

Edit… Again not a recommendation but an option. I have not read much about this design

Ok.seems like "light feet" and no pedestal.
(Though one of them has ridges in the side, which in view are less simple frills...)

To me the neo looks simple; no frills, straight to the point.

If that's not what you like, can you better describe what you mean by simple?
Agree that the neo is simple compared to traditional designs. The legs and side panels are a bit chunky and while they undoubtedly perform an important function, the grills top and bottom of the door, along with the raised top make the neo look “busier” than the stoves on my list. Which takes a bit away from the viewing of the fire (more complicated “frame”). The MF Fire Nova is a very simple cube, the proportions make it look “cute” to me. The Ambience Hipster, in addition to an unfortunate name, tries a bit harder with its taper, slightly curved glass and wooden handles (also “cute”). The Supreme Nova would be the closest to the neo, given the top grill and sides, but it is simpler and more minimalist in look. My 2cents.

Reactions: stoveliker
The GM 40

Or hipster

Edit… Again not a recommendation but an option. I have not read much about this design
Thanks, it does seem that the green mountain 40 and hipster are pretty much the same stove.

Reactions: EbS-P
have you seen the absolute steel. In a plan config is has that simple more industrial look side load only has a minimum 10k btu burn rate.

have you seen the absolute steel. In a plan config is has that simple more industrial look side load only has a minimum 10k btu burn rate.

Thanks, I had not seen that. The plain version is interesting and different. Have not seen a side loader before either.