Advice about ordering triple-wall kit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dstover

Jan 21, 2010
south central Washington
I'd appreciate some advice from this esteemed forum about where to order parts for a chimney pipe replacement, what parts to order, and which manufacturers are highest rated.

My husband and I currently have a Blaze King Princess free-standing stove connected to 6" double-wall black stovepipe that is in good condition. Above that is 8" Metalbestos triple-wall, shiny-exterior pipe that goes through a pitched roof (no attic). This is the segment that is corroded and needs replacement, i.e. everything from the double-wall up. The photo shows the junction between the double- and triple-wall pipe.

Why the two different sizes? It's because the house came with a stove that had a crack in the firebox, and an 8" flue connected to single-wall pipe. We were concerned about the safety of both the stove and the pipe. As soon as we could afford it, we replaced both, and our new stove came with a 6" flue.

Can we now switch to 6" triple-wall for the upper section, too? We would obviously need a new ceiling plate to make it look nice on the inside, but maybe there are other factors to consider.

We currently have 3 sections of 28"-inch triple-wall plus a 12" section, for a total of 96" or 8 feet. It seems like most pipe comes in 36" sections, so how do I make sure I am ordering the correct dimensions and height? Does it matter whether the segments are the same length as previously, or just that they add up to the same total height? Am I correct in assuming that we would not cut anything down to size ourselves, but rather that we can order it in the correct pre-cut size?

I should order "Class A," right? Are some manufacturers better than others? I'd rather spend more now if it means a longer-lasting or better-performing product down the line. Our stove is our only heat source, so it gets a lot of use.

What are all the parts that I need for this replacement project? Are they available as an all-inclusive kit from somewhere?

I should mention that we have a metal corrugated roof that currently has a flexible flange that matches the roof color. Is that something I need to order separately? And if so, from whom?

Thanks for your help!
stovepipe.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You've proposed some conflicting requests. The best chimney pipe does not come in triple-wall. That is the economy pipe. Ventis (also sold as Champion), Excel, DuraTech, Metalbestos Ultra-Temp are all good chimney pipes. The first two are top of the line.

The 8" chimney pipe needs to come out completely. Then the question is whether the 6" chimney pipe flashing will cover the hole or not. If not there may be some patching needed. One possible option could be to use a cathedral ceiling support box. It will depend on how large a hole was cut in the roof, but that might solve the issue and look better too.

Thank you begreen, I did not realize that double-wall is preferred over triple. I just assumed that the more layers, the better insulating.

Correcting myself here: The roof is standing-seam, not corrugated.

Usually 6" flashing will cover the hole for 8" flashing. But it really depends on how it was done originally. I know ventis makes oversized flashing for this purpose.