Advantages of heating with wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybonz

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 5, 2008
Carver, MA.
Pretty mild day here and I didn't want to have to relight the fire so I decided to go to the woods in front of my house and just snap off dead branches off the oaks and white pines and lemme tell you free heat is the best!!! Heck I had enough heat to engage the cat and the stove is as happy as can be! Lemme see you do that with pellets or corn! I have loads of these dead branches just sitting here doing nothing and I think they have found a very good purpose.. How much free energy can you think of like I just produced? You can stuff the pellets, corn and other things because wood is everywhere! And to think I almost strayed off to pellets... Just thought I'd pass this along....

Ray

We all have our own needs, our own available resources, and our own answers. If it works for you, then it's a good system for you. The plain fact of the matter is that wood is not everywhere, at least not in the sense that you describe. You're lucky...not smarter or somehow better, just lucky. Rick

fossil said:
We all have our own needs, our own available resources, and our own answers. If it works for you, then it's a good system for you. The plain fact of the matter is that wood is not everywhere, at least not in the sense that you describe. You're lucky...not smarter or somehow better, just lucky. Rick

Didn't think I would strike a nerve with this post however I did.. I do not think I am smarter or better or whatever.. Just made a statement!

Ray

This is the part of your "statement" that prompted my reply:

"You can stuff the pellets, corn and other things because wood is everywhere! And to think I almost strayed off to pellets…"

No biggie, Ray, different strokes for different folks. Rick

fossil said:
This is the part of your "statement" that prompted my reply:

"You can stuff the pellets, corn and other things because wood is everywhere! And to think I almost strayed off to pellets…"

No biggie, Ray, different strokes for different folks. Rick

Rick,
There was no intent in my post to insult anyone I merely was making a point that there is good fuel to be had in most areas that might otherwise be discarded as trash.. At one time I had seriously considered pellets and the general availability of wood persuaded me otherwise.. I really like supporting the "little" guy is my main point here.. I know from your posts that you too burn wood based on your awesome woodshed.. At least I know if I were to lose my job in this terrible economy I could scrounge plenty of free btu's from my front yard if need be.. One of the reasons I wanted to burn wood as heat was to "stick it to the man" and that goes back over 20 years ago ... I still feel that way and do not like rely on large companies to create my heat.. Unfortunately I must run my furnace for the hot water via an oil burner.. Some day I hope to free myself of most energy dependance as it was once my "dream".. Rick I just want you to know that I do respect you and all other forum members.. My record speaks for itself...

Ray

LOL

Rick is very literal. If you say everywhere, then he takes that to mean EVERYWHERE. Now, I've seen some places that burn camel dung because there is no wood to be had anywhere.

You did fine Ray. The main point in your post is just fine. It is nice when we have our own wood as we can save many, many dollars and that is the point I think you were trying to make. And you are right. It is very nice to be able to step our our doors and get all the wood we need.

Backwoods Savage said:
You did fine Ray. The main point in your post is just fine. It is nice when we have our own wood as we can save many, many dollars and that is the point I think you were trying to make. And you are right. It is very nice to be able to step our our doors and get all the wood we need.

Hi Dennis!

Yup that is what I was trying to say.. No matter what I know I can heat my home next year if nothing else.. Probably could stretch it out to 2 yrs if I needed to.. Additionally I was also saying wood is the most basic of all fuels and can pretty much be had anywhere without modification or mechanical means...in a pinch you can burn camel dung lol.. Not sure what the btu value would be but I sure don't want to be downwind of those burn who camelturds lol...May need a turdalytic stove for that...

Ray

LLigetfa said:
LOL

Rick is very literal. If you say everywhere, then he takes that to mean EVERYWHERE. Now, I've seen some places that burn camel dung because there is no wood to be had anywhere.

Wondering how much a cord of camel dung goes for... I suppose you can burn it just fine a rabbit pellet burning stove lol...

Ray

Well Ray, out in the prairie when the old timers were settling, they used dried cow dung for heat. Not sure what it smelled like but if it kept them warm.... Not much wood in many spots out there. Yes, camel turds might work out okay too. Please feel free to give it a try and report on the results.

Ja, burning dung with a camelytic stove would probably be fine. Good for cooking up a pot of bird's nest soup.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird's_nest_soup

Backwoods Savage said:
Well Ray, out in the prairie when the old timers were settling, they used dried cow dung for heat. Not sure what it smelled like but if it kept them warm.... Not much wood in many spots out there. Yes, camel turds might work out okay too. Please feel free to give it a try and report on the results.

Ya know I do watch Man VS Wild and survivor man I recall one of them burning termite dung or similar for fuel plus as an added benefit it keeps mosquitos away.... If this works on gnats I think the smell would be worth the stink lol... Backpuffing would take on a whole new meaning.. yuck!

Ray

Seems to me that termite dung would just pretty much be really small pellets. Rick

fossil said:
Seems to me that termite dung would just pretty much be really small pellets. Rick

LOL yes I think they would be very tiny pellets!!! The bottom line is we're all together on this topic and we need to stick together to make a difference.. I have been on the net forever and this is the only forum I even bother with.. I would like to meet many people here and hopefully will meet some in my lifetime.. If anyone is ever in the Plymouth, Mass. area feel free to drop in!

Ray

Ray, if you should ever find yourself wandering around the high desert country of central Oregon, be assured that you and your loved ones will find a warm and comfortable spot to rest and refresh yourselves in our home. Anytime. Rick

fossil said:
Ray, if you should ever find yourself wandering around the high desert country of central Oregon, be assured that you and your loved ones will find a warm and comfortable spot to rest and refresh yourselves in our home. Anytime. Rick

Thank you Rick! I would really enjoy swapping war stories over a cold beer with you and your gang! The vast majority of wood burners have an independent streak and it's a bond which holds us all together.. It isn't just heat it's a bit of a lifestyle and makes a statement about all of us.. Funny how our differences makes us all so alike...

Ray

raybonz said:
Pretty mild day here and I didn't want to have to relight the fire so I decided to go to the woods in front of my house and just snap off dead branches off the oaks and white pines and lemme tell you free heat is the best!!! Heck I had enough heat to engage the cat and the stove is as happy as can be! Lemme see you do that with pellets or corn! I have loads of these dead branches just sitting here doing nothing and I think they have found a very good purpose.. How much free energy can you think of like I just produced? You can stuff the pellets, corn and other things because wood is everywhere! And to think I almost strayed off to pellets... Just thought I'd pass this along....

Ray
Here, Here, I said a similar thing over in the pellet room one time and I didn't get get any response. That was before all the breakdowns and the high cost of pellets! :lol:

raybonz said:

Ray
Hey Ray
I'm with you all the way.
Before I read this thread I saw the title and instantly started thinking about why I heat with wood, there was a few minor reasons that I have, but the main number one reason is because I can get the wood for free. If was forced to buy the stuff I wouldn't bother with wood, I'd simply use my back up heat, which in my current case is a heat pump.
As far as ease of collecting it I only have one maple tree in my yard, but I don't have to drive far to find free wood. Still, I probably burned enough wood out in my yard today to heat my house for month or more, it was mostly wood siding boards off my house. I have been renovating my house and accumulating a lot of scrap wood. I did burn quite a bit of it in the stove this winter, mostly for fire starter, but I have way too much to burn as the main fuel and this stuff has been lying around the yard (covered in snow) all winter, I just wanted to do a spring clean of the yard. I still have over half the house to strip of this old pine siding board in preparation for stucco, I plan on stacking that neatly and saving it to burn next winter, so I will essentially be burning the house to heat itself. lol Of course I won't be burning just that stuff, I plan to get some proper cord wood this summer, in fact I am already making plans to do some camping/wood collecting/fishing trips this summer.
>What other way is there of heating your house that you can incorporate fishing and camping into the equation?<

One thing for sure is that if I was burning oil I wouldn't be having my windows open a crack here and there during winter throughout the house to bring in that northern fresh air after cooking dinner etc... as I do daily heating with wood. As you said raybonz, in the shoulder season, with the spring rains and drizzle's where I would cringe to use the furnace to take off the chill, and bump it up a few degrees. Ill throw in a load of those 1" and 2" dead lower pine branches off the trees from my back yard and fire the stove up and put my shorts on. A good reason to have a cold beer too instead of putting on a sweater and having hot chocolate.
Pretty hard to scrounge around the back yard for a 20lb bag of pellets. :coolhmm: .... Well we do have wild rabbits but unfortunately I doubt that fuel they leave behind would be seasoned. :lol: Oh and Rick I guess you will draw the line when I come to visit and want to use your two wheeler during my stay. Cheers
N of 60

I burn wood because I like the look and feel of a wood fire.

The cost of an elevated hearth (2x4, 2x6, 2x10 framing lumber, 2 sheets of 3/4" Advantec, 2 sheets of Durock, 25# bag of Thinset, 40 sq ft of glazed porcelain floor tile, tile tools, grout, grout sealer, caulk, trim material, paint, polyurethane, screws, truck mileage, stove, dbl wall stove pipe, adapters, ceiling support box (w/framing lumber), insulation shield, wall clearance stand-offs, chimney, chimney chase, chase top, chimney cap, new shingles, new ridge vent, new ridge shingles, labor for the roof work, Stihl chain saw and Iron and Oak splitter will be about $10,000. Comparing that expense to my annual savings in propane usage, it will take me about 20 years to make up the expense of the wood stove.

I would be kidding myself and trying to fool others it I said installing a wood stove and burning wood saves me money. Burning wood is one of the few luxuries in life I allow myself. I enjoy it and the associated labor. It is still legal, probably moral, and currently affordable, so I do it.

There is no arrogance intended in the last sentence.

Best wishes to all,

John_M

Carbon_Liberator said:
raybonz said:

Ray
Hey Ray
I'm with you all the way.
Before I read this thread I saw the title and instantly started thinking about why I heat with wood, there was a few minor reasons that I have, but the main number one reason is because I can get the wood for free. If was forced to buy the stuff I wouldn't bother with wood, I'd simply use my back up heat, which in my current case is a heat pump.
As far as ease of collecting it I only have one maple tree in my yard, but I don't have to drive far to find free wood. Still, I probably burned enough wood out in my yard today to heat my house for month or more, it was mostly wood siding boards off my house. I have been renovating my house and accumulating a lot of scrap wood. I did burn quite a bit of it in the stove this winter, mostly for fire starter, but I have way too much to burn as the main fuel and this stuff has been lying around the yard (covered in snow) all winter, I just wanted to do a spring clean of the yard. I still have over half the house to strip of this old pine siding board in preparation for stucco, I plan on stacking that neatly and saving it to burn next winter, so I will essentially be burning the house to heat itself. lol Of course I won't be burning just that stuff, I plan to get some proper cord wood this summer, in fact I am already making plans to do some camping/wood collecting/fishing trips this summer.
>What other way is there of heating your house that you can incorporate fishing and camping into the equation?<

The 1st year I had this stove I heated 24/7 with pallets.. Yes they're free but they are a lot of work... Then I had a neighbor that was building an 8 acre cranberry bog and he dropped all the hardwood onto the corner of my property.. Took me forever to cut and split it but I heated my house for free for 3-4 yrs.. Now I pay for it and I do shop around.. I found a guy on craigslist for $165.00 a cord cut,split and delivered..Most of the wood was white and red oak,maple and little bit of poplar and locust.. I bought 3 cords and that will easily heat my house for a year..BTW if anyone reading this is from southeastern Mass. I can hook you up with my firewood guy, just PM me.. My last firewood guy had excellent firewood but he went up to $275. a cord! I did call him and he said his supplier went way up and I told him no way I will pay that much for wood..

Ray

I'm another that burns wood only cause it free...yup it has served us well for many a year but it's still a lot of work. Aside from the beautiful heat the only pleasure I get from it is the more than 4 miles of trails winding through the woods.

If I had to buy wood...we'd be burning coal instead.

...as far as riffing on Rays original thought goes...yeah I'm down with that. Last week I noticed one of our stacks of junk shoulder wood came crashing down and started bringing it in to burn a little each day. The stuff is hardly worth the time to stack once much less twice. Were still burning so I'll be getting some shortly...and I am picking it off the ground.

fossil said:

Yes, it is very small. But, you know how every year there are those who always ask why every so often there is like a tiny explosion and sparks fly? Well, that is simply those termite turds exploding! lol

John_M said:
I burn wood because I like the look and feel of a wood fire.

The cost of an elevated hearth (2x4, 2x6, 2x10 framing lumber, 2 sheets of 3/4" Advantec, 2 sheets of Durock, 25# bag of Thinset, 40 sq ft of glazed porcelain floor tile, tile tools, grout, grout sealer, caulk, trim material, paint, polyurethane, screws, truck mileage, stove, dbl wall stove pipe, adapters, ceiling support box (w/framing lumber), insulation shield, wall clearance stand-offs, chimney, chimney chase, chase top, chimney cap, new shingles, new ridge vent, new ridge shingles, labor for the roof work, Stihl chain saw and Iron and Oak splitter will be about $10,000. Comparing that expense to my annual savings in propane usage, it will take me about 20 years to make up the expense of the wood stove.

I would be kidding myself and trying to fool others it I said installing a wood stove and burning wood saves me money. Burning wood is one of the few luxuries in life I allow myself. I enjoy it and the associated labor. It is still legal, probably moral, and currently affordable, so I do it.

There is no arrogance intended in the last sentence.

Best wishes to all,

John_M

You'd also be kidding yourself to think that every bit of that $10k was absolutely necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.