Ads, ads, ads

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here

all night moe

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2015
earth
Mod edit: Moved to forum tips:

To the new hearth.com site owners, from an older member: your advertising is ruining this forum! So many damn banners and pop-ups on this site anymore, you can't even get to the basic navigation button without clicking to hide the advertisements. Absolutely the worst forum I've seen in a long time, in this regard. It's the primary reason I don't spend much time here, anymore.

@Ashful I installed an ad blocker a few years ago. I see none of what you describe. Some sites ask me to remove the blocker. That's when I leave them behind and never look back. Your right. Ads, especially pop ups, are annoying as a winy 2 year old.

Last edited by a moderator:
@Ashful I installed an ad blocker a few years ago. I see none of what you describe. Some sites ask me to remove the blocker. That's when I leave them behind and never look back. Your right. Ads, especially pop ups, are annoying as a winy 2 year old.
I don't see any adds? But i've had adblocker on my computer for years.

Or you could support the site and remove the ads??
You want me to pay for the privilege of coming here to answer questions and offer advice? ;lol The forum makes money off every user, especially those regulars here who have collected enough information to be able to offer it back to new members, the very popularity of the site depends on these users.

The prior ownership of the forum did a good job of managing add content, and how intrusive it was to the operation of the forum. There were ads, it's how they pay for the site, but they didn't go to the level of actually interfering with operation of the site. If you're running a blocker, or have paid to make them go away, you likely have no idea as to just how bad they've become in the last year on this site.

No worries, there are plenty of other forums in my interest group that manage to keep ads in the sidebars, and not having me play wack-a-mole on them, just to surf the forum. So, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a whine session, I was just saying I might not see the OP's question if I don't get an email notification from a PM.

PS -- Anyone spending $35 to remove ads on this site, and not spending at least that much to help with the Spruce Pine rebuild BKVP posted above, have your priorities in the wrong place!

Ashfull, i run ublock Origin it was free when I installed it . I have no issue with popups or ad here on this site

What is happening is the result of Google changing it's algorithm. This is killing some sites. There is a group working to counter this. It can't come too soon. In the meantime, ABP works.

Are you saying google determines that there are pop ups (rather than "in-line" ads), where they pop up, and how many there are (rather than only what ads appear in the spots the website owner is okay with ads)....?

I also have a question regarding finances.
Does this website result in revenue (profit) beyond the cost of maintaining it?

The owner is not a nonprofit organization.

I don't really know how anyone can be on the internet without an add blocker. It's insane to not have one. Every once and a while i'll look to see how many adds were blocked and the number is unbelievable. I just checked and it's at 691,000 total.

I don't see any adds? But i've had adblocker on my computer for years.
Before my ad blocker I used to see a good number of adds.

You want me to pay for the privilege of coming here to answer questions and offer advice? ;lol The forum makes money off every user, especially those regulars here who have collected enough information to be able to offer it back to new members, the very popularity of the site depends on these users.

The prior ownership of the forum did a good job of managing add content, and how intrusive it was to the operation of the forum. There were ads, it's how they pay for the site, but they didn't go to the level of actually interfering with operation of the site. If you're running a blocker, or have paid to make them go away, you likely have no idea as to just how bad they've become in the last year on this site.

No worries, there are plenty of other forums in my interest group that manage to keep ads in the sidebars, and not having me play wack-a-mole on them, just to surf the forum. So, I didn't mean to turn this thread into a whine session, I was just saying I might not see the OP's question if I don't get an email notification from a PM.

PS -- Anyone spending $35 to remove ads on this site, and not spending at least that much to help with the Spruce Pine rebuild BKVP posted above, have your priorities in the wrong place!

I agree, if you post relevant content that helps many forum members you should be upgraded for free.

Just in case you may think I was FOS. This is for all websites over at least a few years.

[Hearth.com] Ads, ads, ads

Reactions: all night moe
I use opera browser on my phone and laptop, the browser is free and comes with an ad blocker within it that I use and it blocks all the ads.