Adjustable fan controll Regency 300hi wood insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rick clifford

Oct 19, 2012
Not electrical at all so please help and use dummy language if you can and what I need to buy. I have a Regency 300 hi or other way around which I have been using for about 6 years. I hate the 2 speed fans. 1 too little 1 way too loud. I know there are alot of people on here with Regencys and am wondering if I can add a reostat or similar to the unit which I can plug in the wall and then plug the insert into that leaving the fan on the insert set on high? I would obviously like to make no modifications if at all possible but want to be safe and not damage the unit. Why wouldnt Regency just do this from the outset.
Also my secondaries arent working well at all. Pipe is 18 feet exterior chim and is clean and my wood is very dry. Some going back to Super Storm Sandy. Covered no rot. Yes thats a secondary question I know. Thanks

After 6 years, you don't need to worry about the warranty, so
why not try your idea out?
What is the moisture content of your "very Dry" wood?

Well there is no warranty as I bought the unit used. Was in great shape and only needed a gasket and some new firebrick. I couldnt believe how those bricks deteriorated and these new ones from T.S. have held up so well. I guess I would try but wondering if it would burn out the motors on the fan or worse somehow cause it to overheat. My thinking is it should be fine and theres less current being supplied to the fan but wanted a more clear picture from someone who may have done it. I have seen this question raised on single speed fans but not 2 speeds. As far as moisture content I have no idea as its sitting under 6 mil shrink wrap for somes years and is so much lighter than when stacked. But I will search out my moisture meter and give a check when the sun comes up. I will check on a split as it sits and split a split down and test the middle. Now I am curious but It is dry and the bark often comes right off.

Well there is no warranty as I bought the unit used. Was in great shape and only needed a gasket and some new firebrick. I couldnt believe how those bricks deteriorated and these new ones from T.S. have held up so well. I guess I would try but wondering if it would burn out the motors on the fan or worse somehow cause it to overheat. My thinking is it should be fine and theres less current being supplied to the fan but wanted a more clear picture from someone who may have done it. I have seen this question raised on single speed fans but not 2 speeds. As far as moisture content I have no idea as its sitting under 6 mil shrink wrap for somes years and is so much lighter than when stacked. But I will search out my moisture meter and give a check when the sun comes up. I will check on a split as it sits and split a split down and test the middle. Now I am curious but It is dry and the bark often comes right off.
You could potentially burn up the motor but probably not. You definitely won't overheat the stove because of the blower you can run without one on if you want. The standard brick you got from tractor supply are not the correct type for this stove

Wow. Please explain the firebrick. I had no idea this existed and what bricks should I get and where. Regency parts are insane money but I want this thing running better. Also I meant the blower assembly creating heat. I have yet to get near overfiring the stove. I have yet to install a block off plate but have it stuffed with rockwell. I know I need to do it but its a physical challenge for me now. Will get it done

Wow. Please explain the firebrick. I had no idea this existed and what bricks should I get and where. Regency parts are insane money but I want this thing running better. Also I meant the blower assembly creating heat. I have yet to get near overfiring the stove. I have yet to install a block off plate but have it stuffed with rockwell. I know I need to do it but its a physical challenge for me now. Will get it done
Regency and many other new stoves use pumice firebrick that have much more insulating value . This is done to keep firebox temps up more to improve combustion efficiency.