adding wood to fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Durantefarm

Jan 7, 2018
Ohio
so my question is when do you add wood to your fires. I have a VC insert and I get a fire started with little pieces of wood and throw in some larger logs and then 1or 2 decent size logs. it takes roughly 45 min for insert to get up to temp and fan turns on . after that what should I be doing ? do I add while I still have flames or do I just let it go till im down to just coals . the fan stays on cuz of the heat inside . thank you in advance .

I always run our stove on a cycle. I put in what we're going to need for a fire and let it burn to coals. When we need more heat I build another fire. When it's 30 or below we'll run three fires a day. We'll burn anywhere from four splits to a full stove depending on our needs.

so my question is when do you add wood to your fires. I have a VC insert and I get a fire started with little pieces of wood and throw in some larger logs and then 1or 2 decent size logs. it takes roughly 45 min for insert to get up to temp and fan turns on . after that what should I be doing ? do I add while I still have flames or do I just let it go till im down to just coals . the fan stays on cuz of the heat inside . thank you in advance .

Once the stove gets up to temp with the primary air still full open I add any additional wood immediately if needed. Once the final load is all burning I close the primary down. No need to wait for it to burn down. Sometimes like in the spring and fall no additional wood is required. Small fires are all it takes to take the nip out of the air.

Reactions: Durantefarm
Really its how much heat you need. You dont burn the same way all the time through out the burning season. Right now its a fire here and there and burn it for a bit then let it go out. In 45 days ill be burning 24/7 with the stove going out on occasion. Its pretty easy so dont over think it. If your house is getting to the temp you like dont add wood.. of your home feels cold.. keep it going.. theres no wrong way. What works for you may not work for others so creat your own style.. whats the worst thing that can happen to you. You run the stove to long the house is to warm and you open the windows. Or it goes out and the house is colder than you like, and you put on some sweats or re light the stove..

Really its how much heat you need. You dont burn the same way all the time through out the burning season. Right now its a fire here and there and burn it for a bit then let it go out. In 45 days ill be burning 24/7 with the stove going out on occasion. Its pretty easy so dont over think it. If your house is getting to the temp you like dont add wood.. of your home feels cold.. keep it going.. theres no wrong way. What works for you may not work for others so creat your own style.. whats the worst thing that can happen to you. You run the stove to long the house is to warm and you open the windows. Or it goes out and the house is colder than you like, and you put on some sweats or re light the stove..

I burn down to coals then reload. Restarting the stove is a pain. Today I just tossed a few pieces in during the day to keep it going while I was outside splitting. House is 75 and comfy.
Just tossed in some gnarly stuff off the top of the pile and it’s burning just fine for the temps to drop tonight below freezing.

This video should help you out...

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This site has great info on wood burning. I highly recommend it if your new to burning a modern EPA wood stove

Woodheat.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it warm and even and consistent. I get a good bed of coals established and then it's a split or two at a time never letting it burn down to ashes. I hate temperature swings myself. If you burn 24/7 as primary heat then its a different story. I guess it depends on your use habits.

I like to start my fires top down. 2-3 med or small splits on the bottom then kindling and then shavings then fill the gaps with 4-6 sheets of news paper top bottom and sides. This works well to get some heat out of my first load. Ideally I wait for it to burn down and the stove top temps to drop to 300* before I reload. I thinks the cylce burns work best (and I think that’s how the stoves are designed to run.) as the secondary combustion needs higher temps than throwing one split on at a time will achieve in the firebox. The issue I have with not waiting long enough between reloads is a build up of coals. Right now when I don’t need a tone of heat I reload differently than when it’s really cold.
Last thought. I think the cycle burns burn cleaner, hotter is cleaner. How this helps

evan.

I get secondaries with a split or two at a time.

I don't burn 24/7 so I feed my stove wood as needed while I am using it. I agree that there is no wrong way (burning in cycles vs adding wood when needed). That being said, I would just like to say that you need to be very careful how much wood you add to a stove that is already going. It can easily get too hot if you add too much wood or add wood too soon. I made a few mistakes and they can be scary. Experience will help you make a better decisions.

Durantefarm, I want to comment on how you describe that you go about starting a fire. Your method isn't very efficient by starting with some kindling, then it sounds like you're opening the door to add some slightly larger pieces, and finally opening the door again to add the final big splits. I think a better method, for a cold start, is to load your big splits on the bottom, then the medium size pieces, and finally the kindling on top to do a top down fire. What I like to do, and this seems to work really well if you have your primary air intake at the front of the stove/insert, is to put a couple of small pieces of wood, perhaps an inch to an inch and a half in diameter, north /south on the very bottom out near where the ends of the big splits will be able to rest on them going east/west . This creates an air channel underneath your entire load so that the primary air is flowing in from the bottom and passing through all the wood as it feeds the fire.

For a fire starter I will cut up some waxed half gallon milk cartons (my wife drinks lots of milk) or some waxed cardboard from boxes nurseries ship plants in. I cut this material into strips an inch wide and about 8-10 inches long. I slip a few of these into the kindling and usually one match gets everything burning. I keep my side loading door cracked a quarter inch or so for a good draft until the kindling is burning strong and has fallen into the next size pieces of wood at the next lower level and then I can usually shut the door and fire will keep building.

The tip to create a air channel for the base of the top down just gave me the solution to a small firebox and the large splits block the air channel in the front.

I will use that tip tomorrow. Thank you so much! The “minister of fire” title is well deserved.

I don't burn 24/7 so I feed my stove wood as needed while I am using it. I agree that there is no wrong way (burning in cycles vs adding wood when needed). That being said, I would just like to say that you need to be very careful how much wood you add to a stove that is already going. It can easily get too hot if you add too much wood or add wood too soon. I made a few mistakes and they can be scary. Experience will help you make a better decisions.
My reply was to the OP.. im not having any issues with my stove or burning experiences, and im not having any issues wit the decisions im making regarding the opperation of my stove. In all the years owning this stove i haven't over fired it neather.. so that being said.... not sure where you came from or where your going with it.. my reply was to the op

a better method, for a cold start, is to load your big splits on the bottom, then the medium size pieces, and finally the kindling on top to do a top down fire.
Quickest way to get a stove up to temp.
Fuel is igniting up close to the secondary tubes. Flames don't need to go through 50lb of cold wood to get to them. Heat gets to the top and sides of the stove first, things warm up quickly.

isn’t the easiest stove to get up to temp.
There are ways. Patience grasshopper.

after that what should I be doing
Depends. Check the thermometer inside and out. Here, if inside drops below 70, then in goes more fuel. If it's -40F outside, then in goes lots more fuel. If we aren't home, -- , gas furnace is set to 55deg, -- , it rarely if ever comes on.

Durantefarm, I want to comment on how you describe that you go about starting a fire. Your method isn't very efficient by starting with some kindling, then it sounds like you're opening the door to add some slightly larger pieces, and finally opening the door again to add the final big splits. I think a better method, for a cold start, is to load your big splits on the bottom, then the medium size pieces, and finally the kindling on top to do a top down fire. What I like to do, and this seems to work really well if you have your primary air intake at the front of the stove/insert, is to put a couple of small pieces of wood, perhaps an inch to an inch and a half in diameter, north /south on the very bottom out near where the ends of the big splits will be able to rest on them going east/west . This creates an air channel underneath your entire load so that the primary air is flowing in from the bottom and passing through all the wood as it feeds the fire.

For a fire starter I will cut up some waxed half gallon milk cartons (my wife drinks lots of milk) or some waxed cardboard from boxes nurseries ship plants in. I cut this material into strips an inch wide and about 8-10 inches long. I slip a few of these into the kindling and usually one match gets everything burning. I keep my side loading door cracked a quarter inch or so for a good draft until the kindling is burning strong and has fallen into the next size pieces of wood at the next lower level and then I can usually shut the door and fire will keep building.
thank you very much ! i will try your method for my next burn. you are correct i usually start a fire in the box like i start a fire in my fire pit. newspaper , small pieces of wood and build up .

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INFO !! here is a follow up question. i was told when my VC insert was installed to take a pied of newspaper up near the smoke stack light on fire and create a draft and heat up pipe. when its colder outside and i light the paper i tend to get smoke into the house . i clean my chimney on a regular basis so i know its not clogged up . my question is that do you still have to do this if you do a top down method ? even if you dont have a VC or do top down method do u start of this way ?

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR INFO !! here is a follow up question. i was told when my VC insert was installed to take a pied of newspaper up near the smoke stack light on fire and create a draft and heat up pipe. when its colder outside and i light the paper i tend to get smoke into the house . i clean my chimney on a regular basis so i know its not clogged up . my question is that do you still have to do this if you do a top down method ? even if you dont have a VC or do top down method do u start of this way ?

Yes... in a cold stove i do news paper two pieces Loosely bald I don't hold it up near the stove pipe I just light them I crack the door open do not leave the doors wide open cracking the doors open will help get the heat up into the stove pipe creating draft

If you don’t want to use newspaper for the smoke issue, you can use a heat gun or a butane torch focused on the flue pipe. I’ve heard of placing a candle in there and keeping the door open in the room for about an hour... Haven‘t tried the last two.

Sounds like the issue is on a cold start, when doing so...open a nearby window, I sometimes test the air flow with a lighter flame and if I have a reverse draft I'll use a blow dryer up the chimney for lil'bit, to get it going up the chimney. On a reload, open slowly, and then open yes even slower...this should be the easy part.