Adding Vents to a stove..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangwagz

Feeling the Heat
Oct 5, 2014
Western PA
Ok, im sure ill get hollared at for this question, but here it goes anyways..lol

So let me start off by saying "Yes, i realize pellet stoves are space heaters" and "yes, i could use box fans to move air instead of doing things i think about"

BUT...

i like to make stuff and modify things...sure the wheel is already round, but i bet i can make it round-errrr...haha. Long story short, Thinkin bout punching a hole in the top of my pellet stove and sticking a 90 degree elbow on top to move air in a specific direction. On MY stove, the "room air" passes over the top of the firebox, and out the front of the unit. Works GREAT..but...i wanna point air towards another part of my home.

When i do this, ill be sure to add pictures and such of mods i perform along with info on how well it all works out.

Another question for the "pros" Can a different blower be added for more CFM without major adverse effects other than lower room air temps at current settings? Thats my main question for this thread.

Yes and no. Yes you can butcher up your stove/appliance, you paid for it and it may (or may not do what you want it to) and NO, you cannot increase air flow over the HX because it would entail serious mofifications to the rear bulkhead and you probably would net little increase in output. BTU output is based on a mathematical formula that gages input and known btu capability of average pellets versus airflow and the airflow's ability to strip heat from the HX.. If you really want to increase BTU output (the ability to strip heat off the HX, what you need to do is ADD SURFACE AREA TO THE HX to increase the radiating surface.

That can be done by adding extruded aluminum shapes to the HX. They have to be physically bonded to the HX and you'll wind up ruining the appliance for all time, but then, it's yours so a butcher job is yours to admire all by yourself.

Finally, keep in mid that if your appliance is rateed at say, 66K btu input, the output will be less, most likely 60K btu (allowing for parasitic losses ((flue gas, non radiated heat loss, etc)). You will never be able to achieve more than the maximum btu output no matter what you try. It may 'seem' to be outputting more, but in reality, it6's your imagination.

If you really need more output, buy another appliance and rum both.

Reactions: mustangwagz
"rum both" Freudian slip or good suggestion - you be the judge;lol Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Good info for OP to ponder and I do recall a thread about modifications to exchanger to gain slightly more BTUs. Here's one - there may be more.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/quadrafire-castile-experiment.58216/

My mind is faster than my digits are. Amazing in itself.

No matter how you go about 'modifying' it. It will still bugger it up. I can't see that so IMO, rum 2....lol I've been playing with these things (biofuel stoves) for 3 decades now. Figure I'd better clarify that.the playing with part...

Depends on the stove pun intended. Your probably going to screw up the flow on the stove by cutting something in the top but its your stove and if its a old 6039 that has a scrap value less than a dead battery break out the jigsaw. Some stoves can be booted and have a vent booster added without screwing up the stoves designed airflow and get the air push where its needed. I did it with a Countryside without issues.

Depends on the stove pun intended. Your probably going to screw up the flow on the stove by cutting something in the top but its your stove and if its a old 6039 that has a scrap value less than a dead battery break out the jigsaw. Some stoves can be booted and have a vent booster added without screwing up the stoves designed airflow and get the air push where its needed. I did it with a Countryside without issues.
LOL, thanks! yah ill see how the old turd does. Thanks for the ideas.

Ok, im sure ill get hollared at for this question, but here it goes anyways..lol

So let me start off by saying "Yes, i realize pellet stoves are space heaters" and "yes, i could use box fans to move air instead of doing things i think about"

BUT...

i like to make stuff and modify things...sure the wheel is already round, but i bet i can make it round-errrr...haha. Long story short, Thinkin bout punching a hole in the top of my pellet stove and sticking a 90 degree elbow on top to move air in a specific direction. On MY stove, the "room air" passes over the top of the firebox, and out the front of the unit. Works GREAT..but...i wanna point air towards another part of my home.

When i do this, ill be sure to add pictures and such of mods i perform along with info on how well it all works out.

Another question for the "pros" Can a different blower be added for more CFM without major adverse effects other than lower room air temps at current settings? Thats my main question for this thread.
Creosote. So, you want to up the room blower, which will cool off the exhaust gases, so you have to be careful about creosote. Many stoves have a temp probe in the exhaust flow that will tell you the temp of the exhaust gases. You can do your fan mod, but be sure that the exhaust temps don't go too low. I've been told 200F is a good rule of thumb.

I promise it will be an ugly turd no matter what.....

Creosote. So, you want to up the room blower, which will cool off the exhaust gases, so you have to be careful about creosote. Many stoves have a temp probe in the exhaust flow that will tell you the temp of the exhaust gases. You can do your fan mod, but be sure that the exhaust temps don't go too low. I've been told 200F is a good rule of thumb.
Yah that was a concern of mine, i understand the effects of cooling off your exhaust gases to much thus creating creosote. thats why i figured id ask about the bigger blower. didnt wanna create problems on the perspective. 200 degrees F is pretty low, assumingly this is due to the dryness of the pellets? When i run my big wood furnace, i keep it around 300-500 max (non cat stove) to prevent major creosote build up. also i season my firewood on a yearly basis. Ive seen alot of issues from ppl running stoves to low, end result is usually bad!

I promise it will be an ugly turd no matter what.....
hahaha, hey ya know what they say....you can polish a turd...but it'll still be a piece of s...

just figured id ask, glad to have ppl around that been doing this stuff for a long time. that why i asked. haha. Pellet stoves are new to me so dont take me as a total moron.

Really tho....its ugly!?!? lol bahahaha im so hurt! ...just kidding!

I don't think the heat exchanger is all that great either. I had a thought about removing those louvers on the front of my stove and making directional louvers. Sort of like the vents on the dash of a car or on a window air conditioner only metal instead of plastic. I also wouldn't mind a slightly bigger room fan myself. I usually run that sucker wide open. Gives good effciency on the lower heat ranges, drops off on the higher ones.
The manual lists
Heat Input, Maximum 52,200 BTU/HR
Heat Output, Maximum 48,280 BTU/HR
BTU output will vary, depending on the brand, type and quality of fuel and the moisture content. Consult your dealer
for best results.

Status
Not open for further replies.